Fixed Tariff without a smart meter

Level 1
    My fixed dual fuel tariff ends in August. I’ve received 2 new offers. One is variable and I’m not required to have a smart meter. But the fixed tariff will mean committing to having a smart mete. A smart meter would not work for me so it means I can’t have a fixed tariff. Anyone else had this problem?
  • 3 Replies

• Best Answer

Community Team
    Best Answer
    Hey @Chrissie53 😊

When you say that a smart meter won't work, if by this you mean you are not eligible due to signal issues (we check this prior to booking) or due to meter location or incompatible meter type (i.e some economy 7 meters or some 3 phase) etc then you can still be offered the tariff.

If however you are eligible but refuse to have one installed then you wouldn't be offered the tariff as it's part of the T&C's of the fixed tariff that a smart meter should be installed where eligible.

This doesn't mean that you have to have a smart meter installed as you have mentioned we do have other tariffs available 😀
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳

OUT OF OFFICE UNTIL 01/05/24 🏖

Level 43
    Hi @Chrissie53

It's their way of trying to force the rollout of smart meters. Is there a particular reason why you don't want a smart meter?

I didn't want smart meters myself but I chose a fixed tariff. It took about 7 months until they made me have them, it was either that or be moved onto another tariff.
    Level 91
    @Chrissie53
    why wouldn’t they work for you? The smart functions are not compulsory for you to use if you don’t want to. Others have said that claiming you landlord will not permit it seems to end the badgering. I’ll eventually have to have one but the in house display will not ever be used. While I see no benefit from smart meter, i’m Sure that there is nothing adverse from having them.8
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.