Solar Pannels

View Tag Cloud
    Level 91
    @SnAkEs1210

I have a thermal solar panel but not PV.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    @SnAkEs1210

Good for you - you're doing everything you can to keep your outgoings low. My methods are very similar.

I don't support attacks on companies for making profits, if as in most cases, those profits are reasonable in relation to their turnover and capital investment. I've pointed the finger at companies that are making excess profits because of the way the electricity wholesale market operates - i would have said work but chose not to use that word as it certainly doesn't work in the interests of consumers. Its up to government to regulate these markets and in my view ORGEM has been nothing short of a disaster. I call things as I see them, as do you. Our targets are though a bit different.

Yes, I do appreciate what you are saying. This is just a chat forum, for consumers by the looks of things, and sometimes when I say stuff, I will admit that I am being somewhat flippant. Its not as if I am standing outside e.ons headquarters with an army of people and placards.

Yes, I do understand that companies need to make profits in order to survive. I also don't begrudge them this. However, when a company is doing fairly well, could they not "trickle" (favorable word at the moment) a little bit down to their loyal customers? After all, it's not as if consumers can shop around for a better energy deal at the moment.

The feed in tariff has been set to 3p per kWh for years and years, yet electricity is so much more valuable at the moment. Can they really not offer a few extra pence on their feed in tariffs during these difficult times?

People say, it's not up to the energy companies how much they pay, their hands are tied etc etc but could they not take the initiative themselves without having to be made to by the government?

How is it octopus energy are offering 15p per kWh, after all, they too are a company that needs to generate a profit. 15p is quite a big difference as well, I'm sure they are now not operating at a loss to deliver this to their customers.

Yes, it is up to the government to regulate the market, I wonder who has what influence on the decisions that they make. The recent tax cuts in favour of the wealthiest people has been somewhat questioned, but of course, nothing to worry about, it will trickle down to everybody at some point.

Yes, you, like me, do everything in your power to reduce your bills. I guess the main difference is, you are obviously happy to be getting paid 3p per kWh and paying 34p per kWh (i'm assuming you get paid 3p like me), to my mind, this does seem a tad unfair but there you go.
    Last edited by SnAkEs1210; 29-09-22 at 18:18. Reason: Spelling
    @SnAkEs1210

I have a thermal solar panel but not PV.

Oh, I see, light to heat. So you don't generate electricity like me. How are your thermal solar panels working out for you?
    Level 91
    Two panels generate about 3,000 kWh saving me gas, which is much cheaper than electricity . They only cost me £500 through a crazy council scheme so they’ve recouped their cost long ago
    @meldrewreborn

Oh wow, that's pretty impressive considering the initial outlay was so small.

Yeah gas is much cheaper than electricity but at least your system is being put to good use, especially with the winter coming up. I guess your house can be heated even if you are at work and providing you have decent insulation, it will retain that.
    Level 91
    @SnAkEs1210

I beg you please not to mention the four letter word “w*rk” in replies to me - I turned my back on that years ago!🤣
    The thermal panel is great in the summer, virtually useless in the winter. The graph of my usage of gas looks like a saw blade, next to nothing in summer, lots in the winter.