Bill increase of 106%?

Level 1
    Hi everyone,

Here's hoping someone more knowledgeable can help me!

I'm just coming to the end of my current tariff, which was a fixed amount of £73.58 (£882.96 per year). This turned out to be fairly accurate for our usage and by the end of the term we won't be in any debt.

So now for the new tariff, the cheapest being the variable, coming in at a whopping £153.05 (£1836.64 per year). This is an increase of 106% per year? Now maybe this is my naive 28 year old brain, but I was NOT expecting that much of an increase. I hear that the price cap has increased by 54% and most average households will see an increase of £693/year. Yet my two bedroom house with two residence is seeing a near £1000 increase?

Is this actually correct, or should I get this investigated?

Cheers

Jamie
  • 1 Reply

• Best Answer

Level 91
    Best Answer
    @jamie2004

The latest increase was 54% but there was another on 6 months before that - which your fixed rate was immune from.

Your increase isn't unusual or exceptional - my own payments coming from very competitive fixed rates have nearly tripled so yours are low by comparison.

Your DD should be forecast consumption times prices for a year a divide by 12. If that isn't the case complain/challenge, but this I'm afraid is the new normal. And prices are likely to rise again in October1
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.