Historic charges out of the blue.

Level 1
    I have received a new bill from E-on Next dated 13th March 2022, but the bill is for the period 12th March 2021 - 5th May 2021.
    Two readings are shown,
    From 1) 12th March which says Customer reading next to it.
    To 2) 5th May which says Data Collector reading next to it.
    Is there anyone who can explain how the Data collection reading is taken and if possible how I can get evidence of it from E-on Next?
    I need to get proof from them of what they are claiming I owe, as it is my strong belief that they are incorrect.
    They've already taken a sum of money for it from my credit balance and I need to get it back.
  • 3 Replies

Level 91
    Did you live at the property before 12th March through to beyond 5th May? How do these reading /charges square with your other bills from the period?

The thought occurs to me that this is a rental property and one tenant moved out on 12th March and another one moved in of 5th May. for the interim period the landlord is generally liable. Are you one of the tenants involved?

Sorry its guesswork but the information you provided doesn't tell us the whole story.
    Level 1
    I've lived in this house for 29 years and own it outright. I've paid by direct debit for the electricity that I used for this period. This is an amount which is additional to what I've already been charged and paid for. I'm trying to understand where the data collection reading has come from. It makes no sense to me.
    My new invoice is dated 14th March 2022, the date and reading showing at the 12th March 2021 is in line with the end date and readings showing on my previous invoice but, I do not know where the second date of 5th May 2021 has come from. Is this the date at which a data collection reader came to my house to read my electric meter? If it is then why has a year elapsed before a bill for this period was raised. Would it not be likely that a Gas reading was taken at the same time? I haven't had additional charges for any gas used.
    I just need to clarify how and when the data collection readings were taken.

Best wishes
    Level 91
    It makes no sense, unless you go back and check your bills for the first part of 2021. Bills are usually consecutive. So one bill will end on 12 march 2021 and the next bill starts from the same date and reading. you know this already.

Are you saying you've had no bill previously for the period 12 March 2021 onwards? If you've had a bill already starting on 12 March 2021, then that bill should be retrospectively abated by what the new bill says. Sometimes when there is a price increase bills are cancelled and new bills raised so that the "correct" charges are raised for the respective price periods. Of course its equally possible that there is some finger trouble in all this.