New tariff

Level 1
    Do you have to have a smart meter?
    All tariffs say new smart meter included but i dont want one. We have solar panels and I've heard that smart meters don't work well with them.
  • 1 Reply

Head of Community
    Hey @Nat

We do ask for you to have a smart meter for some of our other tariff's, particularly the fixed prices. The good news is, smart meters have come a long way since the early days when you're right, they really didn't get on with solar panels.

There are so many benefits to smart meters I could sit here all day listing them! But there is one thing to let you know about and that's if you had one installed it will change the way we pay your export payments. You usually get a generation payment, plus a deemed export payment (which is 50% of your generation). A smart meter changes this, it has the functionality to actually measure your export, so the 50% deemed/estimated is replaced with the actual amount you export back to the grid.

This could mean the you get a higher or lower payment that before- depending on how much you are exporting back to the grid.

If you want to know more about smart meters there's loads of great info on https://www.eonnext.com/smart

Or feel free to come back with any questions, we're a friendly bunch who will always try and help.

Thanks

Hannah - here to spread positive energy