Warm Home Discount 24/5

Level 92
    I had the letter from the DWP in January 2023 for the 22/3 winter period. £150 duly credited to my electricity account towards the end of March 2023. 👍

I didn't get it this year despite having the same qualifications as the year before. Same benefits, same low income, same hard to heat home 👎

Lo and behold, £150 was credited to my account on the 9th October this year, marked Warm Home Discount. I received this years notification from the DWP yesterday, dated 22 October 24.

So my first question is this:

Is that just an exceedingly late (seven months late) credit for last year's 'missing' Warm Home Discount, or have E.On Next pre-empted this year's discount and paid it two weeks ahead of the notification from the DWP?!!

My second question this:

If I'm on variable direct debit and my bill was less than the credit in my account, why was the direct debit taken unnecessarily?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 22 Hours Ago at 14:15.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
  • 2 Replies

Level 59
    I had the letter from the DWP in January 2023 for the 22/3 winter period. £150 duly credited to my electricity account towards the end of March 2023. 👍

I didn't get it this year despite having the same qualifications as the year before. Same benefits, same low income, same hard to heat home 👎

Lo and behold, £150 was credited to my account on the 9th October this year, marked Warm Home Discount. I received this years notification from the DWP yesterday, dated 22 October 24.

So my first question is this:

Is that just an exceedingly late (seven months late) credit for last year's 'missing' Warm Home Discount, or have E.On Next pre-empted this year's discount and paid it two weeks ahead of the notification from the DWP?!!

My second question this:

If I'm on variable direct debit and my bill was less than the credit in my account, why was the direct debit taken unnecessarily?

Glad you got it 👍

Re the direct debit, I can only assume that the VDD amount was calculated at least 7 days before it was actually due. My recent VDD was taken on 17th October and precisely 7 days beforehand (on 10th October) I got a messsage to stating 'A reminder about your DD payment'. As I recall 2 winters ago when I was with the Demand Flexiblity Service via Eon Next, if I got the DFS credit between say 1st-9th month it reduced the VDD payment (calculated after bill raised on 1st of each month) accordingly but between say 10th and 17th would offset the payment the following month.
    Level 51
    @retrotecchie

Hopefully, it will be a late payment of the WHD you should have received in March this year, if they've realised they've made a mistake, and then you'll receive another £150 WHD next Spring. 🤞

Like @Mailman I get an email reminder exactly a week before my DD is taken, so they might have requested your DD before they credited the WHD. It happened to me once, when the Governments £66 EBSS payment credits were a few days late. The upside is, if your electricity usage is about the same each month, you won't have pay anything next month, and will have some credit left over towards the following month👍