Want to make your smart meter dumb?

View Tag Cloud
    Level 91
    Interesting TV show this week on microwave ovens - their history and development. .essentially all microwave ovens are faraday cages where radiation exists on one side but not the other. The microwaves bounce around inside but don’t get out.
    Hannah Fry demonstrated putting a mobile inside a closed microwave oven and it then wasn’t contactable. I tried my mobile in an enclosure made from two aluminium food trays and lo and behold it became invisible to the network.

so covering your smart meter’s communications hub with anything that forms a faraday cage will stop it communicating, if that’s something that appeals to you.😇😇
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
  • 4 Replies

Level 86
    @meldrewreborn My better half has a way of being uncontactable. Switch to "Do not disturb" , place phone in handbag, then place handbag in wardrobe. 😂 Simplz. 🤗
    Minor problem occurs when she can't remember which handbag she put it in. 🕵
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

Easy enough to build a jammer that you sit on top of the comms hub, runs from a PP3 battery and just hashes out the WAN frequency.

Or move to West Wales...
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @meldrewreborn

Easy enough to build a jammer that you sit on top of the comms hub, runs from a PP3 battery and just hashes out the WAN frequency.

Or move to West Wales...

But using some aluminium trays from a takeaway meal doesn't even need a battery!
    Community Team
    I wonder though @meldrewreborn what would be the thought process behind this? It would be interesting to learn more about why people wouldn't want their smart meter to communicate 🤔 most of the time when things go wrong with smart it's people getting in touch it's because their meter isn't communicating.

I understand that people are concerned about security etc but as far as I'm aware the only data that an energy company is really interested in or have access to are the readings and the peaks in your usage (when we get half hourly data) as this allows us to be able to get a more accurate representation of how much energy needs to be purchased and any savings can then be passed down. The only other data is what we actually send to your meter that we already have on our system.

Are there other reasons people wouldn't want their meter to send the data? It's an interesting experiment though I don't think I would be brave enough to shove my phone in the meecrowavvy as Nigella calls it!
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳

E.ON Next Poll - How much do you know about the Priority Service Register? - If you have a spare 2 minutes 🕑 we'd love if you complete our poll about the Priority Service Register 🤗