SMETS1 gas meter not updating usage to DCC and sporadic to EON

Level 1
    After some help please.

I have the original SMETS1 meters, and for a couple of years now I’ve not been able to get a reliable electronic meter reading from the Gas meter. The IHD stopped reading the gas 2 years ago, so is useless.

These are connected via the Trilliant Hub, which is located outside my house in the electric meter box. The gas is only about 8 yards away:
    Name:  IMG_9638.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  68.5 KBName:  IMG_9639.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  60.5 KBName:  IMG_9640.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  46.9 KB

I’ve read on another thread that it may be possible to have these upgraded to SMETS2 meters. Can someone arrange that for me please?
  • 3 Replies

Level 92
    @Simon39

You'll need to contact Customer Services to try and arrange that. Nothing we can do on the Forum to help with that unfortunately.

Is you gas meter still able to give manual reads? If so, then the meter itself is at least working, so won't be the biggest priority for the supplier. If the internal battery were to fail or error messages appear on the display then that would ramp you up the priority ladder a little.

OFGEM has tried to put a bit more pressure on suppliers to fix or update non working meters rather than just rolling out new installs, but I'm not sure how effective that is. But call Customer Services and they may be able to sort something out for you.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 59
    I have the original SMETS1 meters, and for a couple of years now I’ve not been able to get a reliable electronic meter reading from the Gas meter. The IHD stopped reading the gas 2 years ago, so is useless.

Can you confirm that you are also unable to retrieve your gas usage via 3rd party apps such as Bright ?
    Level 1
    Yes that’s correct. I had confirmation from Bright this morning:

Unfortunately this is a problem outside our control - you have a Trilliant Comms Hub that is not responding to our request to retrieve gas data - because we are a DCC Other User we don't always get the same responses as an energy supplier (basically the DCC didn't always test enough with the Other User role).

Apologies because we can't even see what changed last week - as that device doesn't respond to any request we make to it.