Direct debit estimation doesn't work with heat pumps/EVs

Level 5
    Our house used to be 2 small cottages, so we have 2 meters. Both cottages are heated by ASHPs. We have a small electric car. We don't use fossil fuels (gas, petrol etc)

I'm having a constant battle trying manage the electricity direct debits I pay. In the summer, when the ASHPs and EV use little, Eon Next drastically cut my direct debit, as though that low use is my 'new normal'. In the winter, when the ASHPs and EV use far more, they panic and drastically raise them.

Obviously, I would much prefer the DD to be relatively constant so I can build up a reasonable amount in the summer to help with the higher bills in the winter - with just the occasional small tweak if needed. But Eon Next's estimation process doesn't seem able to cope with a house and car that doesn't use fossil fuels, and so has a different seasonal profile in electricity use than one that does use fossil fuels.

I just wondered if they are aware of this problem and are doing anything to try to fix it?
  • 2 Replies

Level 92
    @BEJB

I live in an electricity-only house. So do around 20% of E.On Next customers. I've never had a problem with DD levels as I pay by variable direct debit so I only pay for what I use each month.

I tend to use more power in summer as I'm out in the workshop when the weather is nice and giving the power tools a good workout so my energy usage profile is rather untypical too.

I find variable DD is the best way to pay, and my variation form month to month is around +/- 10% so budgeting isn't really a major issue.

If you are absolutely set on fixed monthly payments, I still say the best way to do it is set up a separate bank account and pay in what you think should be your monthly amount, and then let them take the variable DD payments from that.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @BEJB

The DD should be based on your estimated annualised usage. So it shouldn't need to change much if your cycle of consumption doesn't change much.

Prices though do change and you would expect those to feed into the calculations, if you are on a variable tariff. Prices have been falling substantially in the past 2 quarters but are due to rise again from ! October.

I would suggest you check the EAC figure on your bills to see whether its accurate. Then call customers services with current readings to hand, and request a direct debit based on your own assessment of annual consumption, current prices, the balance on your account and see where it goes. Its not rocket science, and sensible negotiation can resolve this.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.