Warning - Smart Meters and Economy 7 Overcharging problem.

Level 1
    This is a possible overcharging warning for people with a smart meter and Economy 7.

Sometime ago I found my that the actual switching of the power and the tariff I was being charged were noy synchronised. The charging rate from day to night was an hour later than when the night rate physically switched on. This meant that for one hour when my night storage heaters and emersion heater were switched on I was still being charged day rate instead of night rate and this was when these devices were using the most electricity. I know that at the end when the power went from night to day I was charged night rate for 1 hour during the day, but this was in the early hours when there was virtually no usage.

I had 2 engineer visits to correct this but in the end I had to have the smart meter removed and replaced with a “dumb” meter.

The purpose of this post is not to criticise E-on Next, but unfortunately, I had to refer this to the Energy Ombudsmen who found in my favour that I was overcharged and awarded me just under £600, £100 for poor customer service.

I may have been the only person in the country who has had this problem but ………
  • 1 Reply

Level 91
    @Pete JH

I’m certain that your situation is far from unique. The actual commencement time of off-peak power is a critical piece of information but I suspect that it is ignored by most energy companies who just assume everything works well.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.