Let's talk about Baking

View Tag Cloud
    Community Team
    Hello Community 👋

Over the past few months - we have been doing quite a bit of baking. We've made a few Apple pies, shortbread and my personal favourite - Carrot cake. 🍰

Growing up, my Mum always used to make a lovely Victoria sponge - I wouldn't even want to try making that as I would absolutely ruin what I know it should taste like, so I leave that one to her.

There are a few things I am yet to give a go, I have always wanted to try pumpkin pie (no idea why) 🤣 and trying my hand at making Macarons.

As we build up to (dare I say it) the festive period, there will no doubt be an increase in baking in my house

What are some of your favourite things to make? Any recipes you could share?
    🌳Together we can work to achieve a more sustainable Future 🌳
  • 1 Reply

Level 48
    @Connor_EONNext

I learnt to bake from my mum and my Nanna, so use all the traditional old-fashioned ingredients and methods. I like baking pies using shortcrust pastry which I make from scratch using plain flour and half lard half butter for the shortening. I always put the pastry in the fridge for at least half an hour before rolling it out.

I still use my mums old Be-Ro Flour recipe book. My favourite cake recipe is their Milk Chocolate Cake one:

200g(7oz) self raising flour;
    225g(8oz) caster sugar;
    1/2 teaspoon salt;
    25g(1oz) cocoa powder(sieved);
    100g(4oz) margarine (I use Stork margarine);
    2 medium free-range eggs;
    5 tablespoons evaporated milk;
    5 tablespoons cold water;
    a few drops of vanilla essence(optional. I don't use it).

Method:
    Pre-heat oven to 180C (160C fan oven);
    Grease or line (with a greaseproof cake tin liner), two 20.5 cm (8 inch) cake tins, but don't use loose bottomed tins without a liner;
    Mix flour, sugar, salt and cocoa;
    Rub in the margarine;
    Beat the eggs and milk together;
    Stir the egg/milk mixture and the water into the dry ingredients and beat/mix well;
    Pour or spoon the mixture into the cake tins and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes. (I check mine with a cake tester every five minutes from about 25 minutes onwards, and once it comes out clear of any mixture. the cake is ready);
    Allow to cool completely, and then sandwich the two halves with a layer of butter icing, and spread a layer of butter icing on the top of the cake.

Butter icing is easy to make, it's double the amount of icing sugar to butter and mix them together with a spoon, (I use a tablespoon), until the mixture is creamy and spreadable. You can add cocoa powder to the icing mix, but I prefer the plain butter icing. You can also make the cake mixture into about 8 or 9 muffins, but reduce the cooking time by 5 to 10 minutes. Here's a picture I found online of the cake where someone has used chocolate icing.

Name:  unnamed_thumb2.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  56.5 KB

Have a lovely day everyone.🍰😃
    Last edited by Tommysgirl; 3 Hours Ago at 10:13.