Smart meters not communicating in new build appartments

Level 1
    Hello,

I moved into my new build appartment this time last year. Electricity and Gas originally supplied by British Gas but I switched to EON Next as I was a customer already.

Since the start the gas meters would not communicate their readings. Pretty sure this was the same for all occupiers - 8 of us. The electricity meter is inside a block cupboard on the ground floor. The gas meters are outside approx 10-15 metres away through a block wall and brick wall. My understanding is that the gas meter sends its readings to the electricity meter which then communicates both readings to the supplier.

Electricity meter used to send a reading every so often but now also never seems to get a reading through.

So everyone has to read both meters manually. For me this is a bit of a nuisance as the meters aren't exactly convenient to get to but for some they're extremely difficult to get to.

I've raised so many tickets via WhatsApp chat in the last year about this but nothing ever gets fixed. Even had an engineer out once who replaced the gas meter but this hasn't helped.

Just wondering if there is anything that can be done? This is a new build so surely the latest and greatest technology should be in use here and we shouldn't be on our hands and knees trying to read manually? Seems like there are two problems - gas meter and electricity meter out of range and electricity meter doesn't have a WAN connection.

IHD also doesn't work but this isn't a surprise as I'm on 2nd floor away from the meters. But does rather make a mockery of this awesome "smart" meter technology that our standing charges have been paying for.
  • 5 Replies

Level 91
    @Snoop

The gas meter should send its readings to the communications hub, which is attached to but not part of the electric meter, and as you say both gas and electric meter data should then be sent to your supplier.

Others will comment on what could be done to improve matters, but in the meantime would taking the IHD into the block cupboard to see if the readings can be picked up?

if you have difficulty reading the meters then you could register on the priority services register and ask for your meters to be read for you.

I fear that a quick solution will be elusive.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    @Snoop

The gas meter should send its readings to the communications hub, which is attached to but not part of the electric meter, and as you say both gas and electric meter data should then be sent to your supplier.

Others will comment on what could be done to improve matters, but in the meantime would taking the IHD into the block cupboard to see if the readings can be picked up?

if you have difficulty reading the meters then you could register on the priority services register and ask for your meters to be read for you.

I fear that a quick solution will be elusive.

Thanks - I'll try the IHD (got to dig it out and charge it up I guess). Reading the meters manually is inconvenient but not difficult but there are other residents in the block that struggle more so I will also suggest the priority services register to them thank you.
    Level 91
    @Snoop

Happy to help. Also are you north or south - different systems in use, which might affect others ideas.
    Level 1
    @Snoop

Happy to help. Also are you north or south - different systems in use, which might affect others ideas.

I’m in the south.
    Level 91
    I’m tagging @retrotecchie, he’s more au fait with this technical stuff.