E7 digital meter to single rate smart meter and RTS box removal

Level 1
    Good morning all,
    We are considering giving in to the many requests for us to have a smart electricity meter.
    Before we do that though we have a few questions that unfortunately direct emails to E-on have not answered, so...

Current situation is that the house used to use E7 storage heaters so has a large RTS box in with the meter and fuseboard. Single supply cable comes into the house and is then split with one feed into the RTS box and then to the meter and the other direct to the meter (I think). The old night rate circuit is just used for other regular parts of the house circuits. Nothing gets switched on or off at night - whole house works just the same whatever the time.

We no longer have storage heaters and have no use for a dual circuit, so we are now on the same rate for day & night readings from the digital meter. That's OK, but we would prefer to just change it to a single reading with no day/night rate elements anywhere.
    That means removal of the the RTS box and change from the dual rate meter to a single rate meter.

However when we ask the question "What gets removed?" we are only told that whoever fits the smart meter will remove the old one and we don't get an answer about the RTS box and other gubbins. We are also told that it's not a problem if we still get day & night readings as they are on the same rate - but we would like to move completely away from that method and free up some space in the cupboard.

Q1 - will the RTS box and other splitting connectors be removed along with the digital meter?
    Q2 - If we insist, can the smart meter be a single rate one that is connected directly (or at least through a simple UKPN fused connector)?

Photo below showing mains power in at the very bottom - fed to bulky 4 tail (3 grey, 1 blue) UKPN fused connector - then split 1 grey, 1 blue to RTS box and then rest to the dual rate meter in top left and away to fuseboard on left.

Does that make sense?

Andy

Name:  meters.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  29.2 KB
  • 1 Reply

Level 92
    @andyelcomb

No reason why that can't or won't be changed to a single rate meter and the RTS gubbins removed.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.