New Price Cap Imminent

Level 58
    The push for net zero brings huge capital costs now, with the presumption that unit prices will be lower in the future.

I am reminded of that book by Tom Sharpe 'Blott on the Landscape' where the plot revolves around the building a large infrastructure project - not an upgrade to the national grid (more pylons, more connectors etc) but to the transport network via a new motorway. 🤣

Well if the planning requirements are effectively sidelined for national infrastructure projects then all that is needed is the investment to do it all. Fear not though as I see a white steed charging towards us with a large banner saying something like 'Great British Energy will be our saviour' ridden by Sir Kier of Starmer (followed closely on foot by his squire appears to be Sir Edward of Milliband) and, when its all over, our energy bills will be £300 lower (seemingly at some indeterminate point in the future)...........but only if you go to all electric. 🤣

In the meantime welcome to a 9% uptick in what you pay - unless you were fortunate to snag a decent fix ....😜
    Last edited by Mailman; 7 Hours Ago at 14:55.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

I've turned up a bill from October 2018 and the gas was 2.8571 p per kWh, standing charge 21.905 p per day, both ex VAT.

However, those were the days when there was real competition in the market place , and those prepared to switch and take fix price deals could save a lot of money., which I can reasonably claim to be active in doing.

Today's competition is a bit fake, and savings on offer rather marginal.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @Mailman

Blott on the Landscape is a great book and the TV adaptation was very good as well. It gave plenty of laughs, George Cole as the bombastic landowner being chased by his wife's lions is particularly memorable.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

If I recall, Blott himself was played rather splendidly by David Suchet. I'm a huge fan of Tom Sharpe, but his stuff would very much be termed politically incorrect these days. In fact, I rather doubt that Riotous Assembly would get past the censors in these modern times.
    George Cole will always be 'Arfur Daley' to me. He was always at his best playing slightly dodgy but loveable characters. Flash Harry in the old black and white St Trinians films was stuff of legend.
    @Mailman

I'm saving around £15 a month on my fix compared to Flex. That saving should get even better. Roll on September👍😎
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    Dear All

OFGEM did launch a consultation on standing charges back in 2023. It hasn't published its response yet, but the consultation invite does contain a lot of detail about their thinking and what has caused the sharp increases, particularly in electricity standing charges, in recent years. Its worth a read at bedtime if you can't get to sleep!!

Standing Charges: Call for Input (ofgem.gov.uk)