Economy 7 and Smart Meter Installation

Level 1
    Hi,

6 Months ago (in winter!) I had our clockwork meter upgraded to a smart meter by Eon only to discover that the meter didn't energise our storage heater circuits during the first off peak session after the installation. Clearly unacceptable (since we had no heating) this led to an emergency call out to fit a non smart meter, an official complaint, several compensation payments and a long saga with customer complaints handling that concluded with the fitting of a second - new - smart meter yesterday.

I am assuming the new smart meter is SMETS2 - it is certainly a 2024 model as it has an updated battery powered IHD. In any case, after the fitting it is again not energising the secondary circuit for our storage heaters.

Despite the dodgy summer we are months away from needing our storage heaters (our water is fine, it is on a timer on the main circuit). So I am happy to wait and see whether Eon updates the meter remotely to set it up correctly over the next few days - on this occasion the installer showed me a message on his ipad to the effect that there was some additional back office work to do before the meter was fully operational.

My question really is - is this normal and can I actually rely on Eon to get my storage heating circuit working in the next few days? On my original installation customer services knew nothing about remotely configuring smart meters (and precious little about Economy 7 or Economy 10 metering and timing - despite my prompting them based on my own experience...
  • 1 Reply

Level 92
    @Morphaniel

Any chance you could post a photograph of the meter, including the big wires going to and from it, or at least provide the Make and Model numbers?

Firstly, we need to check they have actually fitted the correct physical meter (5 terminal rather than 4) and a photo will help with that.

If the meter is a four terminal meter, all bets are off. If it IS a five terminal meter, then it should be a simple configuration command.

If you can take a photo or two, and include any additional connector blocks or auxiliary wiring around the meter, that may help to identify the problem. If the 'clockwork' removed was a 'ratechanger' rather than a separate timeswitch, then the chances are that the Economy 7 wiring may not have been correctly configured. A picture is worth a thousand words.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.