Taking the plunge - any installation advice?

Level 91
    Although I really didn't want or need smart metering I've decided to take the plunge and have booked an appointment for 12th August. Partly this is to stop the repetitive admonishments from the company, and with Mad Miliband in charge at the DENZ the pressure wasn't going to decrease in the next 4-5 years.

Are there any things I should insist upon during or before the installation?

Do I have to make sure my new electricity meter is Economy 7 compliant with a 5th (presently unused ) terminal? I don't expect there to be any communication issues for the HAN, my meters are only 40cm apart. But what about the comms hub - I get a good 5g signal on my mobile but should i insist upon a 4g WAN compliant hub?

I just want to to have an installation that is future proof as possible.

Once the installation is complete I'll have to get access to the Bright or other apps to enable even greater monitoring of my consumption - if I ever feel the need to do so.

At least then I'll be able to comment better on smart meter matters - I've felt a bit of a fraud up till now.

I'll document the installation for posterity and will post afterwards detailing my experience.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
  • 1 Reply

Level 83
    @meldrewreborn
    🤞. Just the obvious old meter reading prior to removal and new meter reading before engineer leaves 😁. Wishing all best for the 12th and looking forward for a full blow by blow report. 👍
    🤞