Smart Meter

Level 6
    Hi All,

I'm not on a smart meter as personally I just do not trust them. EON have mentioned that I'm entitled to a FREE smart meter and have suggested that I get one. It was suggested after a phone call this morning that they may start to charge for the meters to be fitted from next year.

I'm currently aware that it is not mandatory to have one fitted, but it was implied that staying in my current position, submitting meter readings each month may not be beneficial to me. I was advised that I would be able to have a cheaper tariff if I opted for a smart meter. Is this true? When I asked how much cheaper would my DD's be each month I was quoted that I could save between £10-£30 per month. Has this happened to anyone?

Reading so many issues with these smart meters has put me off and the last thing I want is to have issues down the line with no option to reverse my decision.
  • 1 Reply

Level 82
    @Prettyeyez Having a smart meter will give you slightly more choice on available tariffs. Whether there are savings will depend more on usage, kWh. As for reducing your DD by those figures it would be difficult to say.
    You are already paying for a meter as part of the daily standing charge.