Gas meter SMETsV2 - no meter reading 18days but getting half hourly usage

Level 6
    Hello,

My gas meter is set to half hourly and I can see the usage fine in the app but when I check in the meter read section it says nothing seen for 18 days.

My electric is also half hourly, usage fine and meter read says "you don't need to subnet readings as we're getting them half hourly".

Shouldn't the gas section be stating the same thing on half hourly? Screenshots attached
    Attached Images Attached Images   
  • 6 Replies

Level 58
    @Thewookiewon

The usage per 30 min is not the same as the Meter read. Put it another way, if you were to add up all the 30 min usage data over the whole day you would end up with the same usage derived by taking the difference between the Meter reads at 0000 and 2359 and using the conversion formula to convert say m3 into kWh. The smart meter read will only be pulled once a month unless your bill covers a cap changeover date. What you see with your account is what I see with mine.

I shall check my app in the morning as my online account is not confusing. Perhaps the app is open to misinterpretation for the reasons stated in your post but will check and get back to you unless someone else can confirm.
    Last edited by Mailman; 18 Hours Ago at 23:06.
    Level 6
    @Thewookiewon

The usage per 30 min is not the same as the Meter read. Put it another way, if you were to add up all the 30 min usage data over the whole day you would end up with the same usage derived by taking the difference between the Meter reads at 0000 and 2359 and using the conversion formula to convert say m3 into kWh. The smart meter read will only be pulled once a month unless your bill covers a cap changeover date. What you see with your account is what I see with mine.

I shall check my app in the morning as my online account is not confusing. Perhaps the app is open to misinterpretation for the reasons stated in your post but will check and get back to you unless someone else can confirm.

I completely get that, but I do belive the gas meter reading area should reflect the same message as the electric meter then.

"you don't need to submit meter readings, we receive your gas usage automatically from you smart meter half hourly"
    Last edited by Thewookiewon; 10 Hours Ago at 07:25.
    Level 58
    @Thewookiewon

Checked with my app - as I am not on a TOU (Time of Use) electricity tariff my last meter reads were both taken on 1st July and both utilities state 'It's 18 days since your last reading'. perhaps you are on a TOU and have to have the electricity reads pulled much more often. 👍
    Level 30
    I completely get that, but I do belive the gas meter reading area should reflect the same message as the electric meter then.

"you don't need to submit meter readings, we receive your gas usage automatically from you smart meter half hourly"
    Don't see why you would expect this - I'm on TOU for electricity EV tariff so the meter reading section for electricity says
    You don't need to submit meter readings, we receive your electricity usage automatically from your smart meter every half an hour.

However the gas isn't billed on a TOU basis so they're only interested in the monthly cumulative readings, so the meter reading section says
    Enter your meter reading

You can ignore the numbers after the decimal place and any numbers in red.

Enter your reading

last actual reading: 2458.623 on 21/06/24

This is actually irrelevant as they pick up your readings directly from your meter, so you never really need to go to this page on the account/website
    Last edited by geoffers; 2 Hours Ago at 14:28.
    Level 6
    Don't see why you would expect this - I'm on TOU for electricity EV tariff so the meter reading section for electricity says

However the gas isn't billed on a TOU basis so they're only interested in the monthly cumulative readings, so the meter reading section says

1. Your tone isn't appreciated, I'm providing feedback based on experience from other suppliers.

2. Because the gas is set to half hourly readings same as the electric. The UI should represent the same information, I shouldn't need to provide a read if half hourly is selected on both meters.

3. My previous supplier only billed my gas on a static cost per unit set to half hourly, they blocked out the ability to submit meter readings as no point when set to half hourly. They also showed the daily reading in the same area so I had visibility of the actual reading captured.
    Level 30
    1. Your tone isn't appreciated, I'm providing feedback based on experience from other suppliers.
    I don't see why my "tone" has anything to do with it - I'm just trying to be helpful in explaining my experience with this supplier, and other suppliers probably do things differently (and none of them are perfect ☹️)