Changing Next Drive Tariff Mid Term - Is it ethical to switch energy tariffs halfway

Is it fair to take advantage of lower rates or better incentives by switching tariffs mid-term, or is it better to honor the original agreement? How do you navigate the ethical implications of changing tariffs?
  • 5 Replies

Level 57
    Is it fair to take advantage of lower rates or better incentives by switching tariffs mid-term, or is it better to honor the original agreement? How do you navigate the ethical implications of changing tariffs?

Just my opinion but I've never considered that there are ethical implications whenever a I've changed tariff irrespective of when that change happens. Purely a personal decision that I've made based on my energy consumption numbers. 😎
    Level 92
    @Develomom

An interesting question. Ethics are principles of 'Good versus Bad' and are generally agreed on by a community, group or society. Morals, on the other hand are more of an individual's sense of right or wrong.

So ethically, you'd be fine if its a common choice with people and the energy companies themselves allow it (even if they don't actively promote it).

I won't judge anyone on their morals as I have switched from one fixed deal to another, mid term. I was perfectly aware of my decisions and my tariff originally had exit fees, but when they were removed I saw it as E.On changing the terms of our 'contract' unilaterally and thus voiding our original agreement. So ethically, I have no problem with it. Morally....E.On Next reneged on the mutually agreed original terms, so morally they blinked first.

But, if you bought something in the shops and paid £100 for it, then found it on sale a week later for £75, what would you do? Accept your decision to buy when you did or take the item back and get a refund, and then go to another branch and buy it cheaper?

You see, if the retailer already has the item in stock in the warehouse and is now prepared to sell it at 75% of the price and still make a profit, then the item was too expensive in the first place. You're not cheating them in any way but you are stopping yourself being ripped off. Go with whatever you feel is right for you.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91

As far as I recall, the Next Drive tariff you agreed-to never had exit fees so both parties agreed you could switch mid-term from the outset.

Personally, I see no ethical implications about switching tariffs to my advantage under any circumstances and don't think I'm any worse a person for it.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 57
    But, if you bought something in the shops and paid £100 for it, then found it on sale a week later for £75, what would you do? Accept your decision to buy when you did or take the item back and get a refund, and then go to another branch and buy it cheaper?

I had a similar situation about a month ago when my lovely new scarifier decided in shedding one of its wheels! I went through the warranty/guarantee channels but decided that they were dragging their heels after a week of inaction and I really needed to get on with it after a wetter-than-normal April. I therefore decided to return to the the store where I got the thing from and they gave me a full refund without issue. I was then without a scarifier as they did not have a replacement in-store. However a different chain was selling a similarly spec'd scarifier only it was £15 cheaper and was able to use it the following day. Make of that what you will. 😀

Now into June and both lawns have been scarified. 😉
    Level 91
    The relationship between consumer and suppliers is very unequal, and in those situations I think the little guy (or gal) needs to use the contract terms to their advantage at every conceivable opportunity.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.