Another SmartView2 IHD that has lost connection

Level 1
    After reading various threads here, I've already figured out that there is basically no hope for my SmartView2 IHD to start working again, but I want to put my case on the record.

After over a year of trouble-free operation, my SmartView2 IHD suddenly lost its pairing with the meter and now seems to be stuck in a perennial loop, trying to reconnect to the meter:

Name:  SmartView2.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  21.0 KB

Restarting it next to the meter, taking the battery out etc. didn't work. I got on WhatsApp to E.ON Next, and they apparently sent a command to the meter to reset the pairing overnight. In the morning, after restarting the IHD, it briefly displayed a "Woohoo you're connected!" splash screen, but then it went back into the infinite pairing loop.

It beggars belief that a device that allows little to none user interaction still manages to brick itself for no apparent reason. I wonder if it's possible to remotely install software or firmware updates onto the SmartView2, and maybe one such update went horribly wrong? Or maybe its design was just cr*p from the start, and the device is doomed to fail sooner or later: nice job.

Any suggestion welcome, before I resort to buying some other replacement.
  • 3 Replies

Level 78
    Morning @DeedayUK I think if was in the same situation I would resort to using the Hildebrand Bright app rather than spend money on more gadgetry that can go wrong.
    Level 91
    After reading various threads here, I've already figured out that there is basically no hope for my SmartView2 IHD to start working again, but I want to put my case on the record.

After over a year of trouble-free operation, my SmartView2 IHD suddenly lost its pairing with the meter and now seems to be stuck in a perennial loop, trying to reconnect to the meter:

Restarting it next to the meter, taking the battery out etc. didn't work. I got on WhatsApp to E.ON Next, and they apparently sent a command to the meter to reset the pairing overnight. In the morning, after restarting the IHD, it briefly displayed a "Woohoo you're connected!" splash screen, but then it went back into the infinite pairing loop.

It beggars belief that a device that allows little to none user interaction still manages to brick itself for no apparent reason. I wonder if it's possible to remotely install software or firmware updates onto the SmartView2, and maybe one such update went horribly wrong? Or maybe its design was just cr*p from the start, and the device is doomed to fail sooner or later: nice job.

Maybe @theunknowntech can give you his thoughts if he's around.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 28

I wonder if there's any possibility of talking to the manufacturer of the device itself, to see if they can help ...
    https://www.in-home-displays.co.uk/

In Home Displays Ltd.
    15 Luna Place
    Dundee Technology Park
    Dundee
    Scotland
    DD2 1TP

Email: contact@ihdl.co.uk
    Last edited by geoffers; 1 Week Ago at 11:24.