moving house, tenant moving in - procedure

View Tag Cloud
    Level 3
    Hi everyone,

a very basic question - I'm moving out of my flat to get married and for the first time have a tenant moving in. I doubt that he's ever had to set up his own power supply arrangement before but I didn't want to lock him into my old supplier by default either. What happens with the electricity supply when I terminate the agreement with my current supplier, i.e. Eon Next? Will they send a letter to the occupier to see if they want to continue with them? Do they cut off the supply?

Thanks,

Best wishes,

Stephen.
  • 4 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 92
    Best Answer
    @skbalfour

What you will need to do is get meter readings the day your tenant occupies the property. A photograph of the meters will always help.

You will need to contact E.On Next customer services and inform them you are leaving the property. You can use the online Moving Home bit in your online account.

Your tenant will also need to contact E.On Next to arrange taking over the supply. Again, they will have the same meter readings. They will need to register with the existing supplier in the first instance. After this, they are then free to take their business elsewhere if they so choose.

I suggest that when they register with E.On Next, they go onto the standard Next Flex tariff as that will mean there are no exit fees if they chose to leave. Or, they can choose one of the E.On Next fixed tariffs if they so wish.

Assuming you have standard credit meters and are not on Pay As You Go, there will be no interruption of supply.

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding 🥂
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 1 Week Ago at 08:26.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 56
    Hi everyone,

a very basic question - I'm moving out of my flat to get married and for the first time have a tenant moving in. I doubt that he's ever had to set up his own power supply arrangement before but I didn't want to lock him into my old supplier by default either. What happens with the electricity supply when I terminate the agreement with my current supplier, i.e. Eon Next? Will they send a letter to the occupier to see if they want to continue with them? Do they cut off the supply?

Thanks,

Best wishes,

Stephen.

As per the post of @retrotecchie above. ☝

Best to make contact with Eon Next and you need to effect what is often called a 'change of tenancy/occupier'. It is also incumbent on the new tenant to also make contact with Eon Next to initially set up an account in their name and decide on the tariff otherwise they just go onto Next Flex. Eon Next are the incumbent supplier irrespective of the wishes of the tenant. Dates of changeover need to match plus meter readings need to be agreed between the parties (take photos as well). Once your tenant has created the account they are free to choose a different supplier if they really want to.