Payg electric smart meter. Don't want smart Gas meter.

Level 5
    Hi
    I had an emergency smart meter installed last year.
    I did not want this but the meter was blank.
    I've been waiting months for it to be switched back to PAYG
    EON have just informed me that I now need a smart gas meter if i want payg on my smart electric.
    I do not want a smart meter added to the gas.
    Considering eon had issues until recently installing both.
    Is this factually correct?
    Why should I have the perfectly working gad meter changed to a smart meter when I don't want it.
    Why suddenly is there a demand that I do this?

Can I just have payg electric smart & normal payg gas?

Many thanks.
  • 6 Replies

Level 91
    @Vapegirlclouds

What you are seeking is a reversion to the method of payment you had before the meter went unserviceable. You should raise this as a formal complaint.

The metering of the gas is a completely separate and rather irrelevant factor raised by Eon Next. I suspect that they want to install a smart gas meter, so to do both gas and electricity at the same time would save them money. The reversion to PAYG for electricity, which on standard variable tariffs, is the genuinely least expensive method of payment, so their obstinacy is now costing you money, and you should include that fact in your complaint (see mauve banner below)

the latest smart meters can be switched between credit and PAYG methods of payment remotely - thus not requiring an engineer visit at all. Whether this is possible with the installed meter or not I can't tell.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 5
    Thank you.
    I'm on next flex I think.
    I have payg as I can't deal with large bills & prefer payg I don't have debt.
    Its so stressful.
    I had a bill for over 3 months & had a ridiculous amount of texts & emails demanding I pay this or be threatened with court action.
    I put the money by that I would have put in the payg meter monthly but that's not the point.
    The day after I paid it I had another bill for over £149

I dont understand how when all I used to put in payg was £180 a month 20th to 20th.
    I wish there was a company uninstalling smart meters that were forced on customers & reinstalling the old type.
    It cant be accurate if the amount owed is more than what we've put in monthly for 3 years!

Eon can't even provide you accurate information of when you've topped up if you misplace receipts.
    Last edited by Vapegirlclouds; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:49.
    Level 92
    It cant be accurate if the amount owed is more than what we've put in monthly for 3 years!

Ah, but don't forget energy prices have more than doubled over the last three years and have only just started to come back down again. Three years ago my monthly bill was £44. Now it's nearer £100.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @Vapegirlclouds

You need to sort this out through customer services. Record the calls(tell them you are doing this) and insist on reverting to prepayment.
    We don’t have any access to your account, so can’t offer any explanation of what is going on there.
    Level 5
    @meldrewreborn
    I've already been to the Ombudsman.
    I accepted the proposal & they have until mid April to implement all. Here we are & now they are refusing to put me back to payg electricity unless I have a smart gas meter, which I do not want.
    The engineer stated I did not need to have both.
    up until January, they couldn't even install smart gas meters so its incorrect anyway that you have to have both.
    I've never had debt & they're telling me they can add debt to the meter once both smart meters are on.
    I've contacted utilita & I can have old gas & smart electricity so will just switch.
    eon have caused me nothing but stress.

The bill, the refunded me 100 & added that back on.
    I'll be sending the lot back to Ombudsman.
    I don't understand why I paid my bill & the next day I had another bill.
    If I look at my account now, I'm in debt of over £240. The most I was putting in my payg meter was 200 a month even with the price hikes.

If I paid the balance 20th I'd expect by the next 20th it wouldnt be more than we'd put in via payg.
    My only option is to switch, I can't cope with this mentally.
    Last edited by Vapegirlclouds; 3 Weeks Ago at 13:29.
    Level 91
    @Vapegirlclouds

In other cases that have gone to the ombudsman, customers have continued to report that Eon Next have accepted the findings in principle, but not complied in practice. The impression I’ve been left with is that Eon Next treat the findings as guidance rather than instructions.
    But please keep at it. You might just find that this is a case where your MP could get involved - the company are likely to be more compliant given the influence an MP has.