Earth Hour - what can we do for our planet in just 1hr?!

Community Team
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EarthHour24.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	3342

Hey Community πŸ‘‹

8.30 pm - 9.30 pm this evening is Earth Hour.

Lots of people across the world will be doing something during this hour to benefit the planet! πŸ‘«πŸ‘­πŸ‘«πŸŒπŸ‘­πŸ‘¬πŸ‘«

For some people this will mean using less energy ⚑ - we can do this by turning off the lights during this hour, switching the telly off and reading a book or perhaps turning down the thermostat a few degrees...even better turning the heating off altogether!

Earth Hour doesn't mean just saving energy and reducing your carbon footprint though (although every little helps). Earth Hour is about taking responsibility for the footprint we each leave behind on this planet πŸƒ

Here are some ideas of how you can take part:

• Switch off the lights πŸ’‘
    • Camp out in nature β›Ί
    • Watch a nature documentary and learn something new πŸ“ΊπŸ¦πŸ¦“
    • Visit your favourite beauty spot 🏞
    • Cook a plant based meal πŸ…
    • Mend or upcycle something πŸ› 

You may be thinking πŸ€” "What difference is 1hr going to make?"

Well...last year there were more than 410,000 hours dedicated to Earth Hour across the world in 190 countries. Just imagine the impact this will have had on our planet 🌍 from reducing our carbon footprint πŸ‘£ to education πŸ¦‰πŸ“š and so much more!

I will be taking part by making some homegrown vegetable soup (veggie's from the neighbour's allotment) and watching a bit of Attenborough as I work. What will you be doing to support Earth Hour this evening?
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳

OUT OF OFFICE UNTIL 01/05/24 πŸ–

• 8 Replies

Level 91
    @DebF_EONNext

I’ll be watching England on the TV. I’m afraid I think these virtue signalling events pretty pointless because most of those taking part will forget the ideas immediately afterwards and go back to their energy wasting ways.

Whereas some treat every hour of every day, week and year as an energy saving opportunity.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 21
    I didn't have to switch off anything because the heat pump and this computer were running off rooftop solar panels.
    Level 55
    I don't know what we will be doing during this hour but it will probably involve chilling out and relaxing in front of the box. Our 'earth hour' was really an 'earth afternoon' with family playing a couple of board games. It would have made absolutely no difference had today been designated an 'earth afternoon' as this is often what we do anyway. Net result for today will probably be in-line with what we normally use on a Saturday when entertaining family members - electricity slightly down, gas slightly up (to keep our guests warmish at no lower than 18C 😎).
    Level 91
    @Mailman

i was able to watch the footy on TV. Clearly Eon Next were hedging their bets , judging by the number of adverts on the pitch side LED screens!!
    Level 43
    This is the first I've heard of it so I missed it, although my usage for that hour was 0.27 kWh electric and 0 for gas so there was nothing to be realistically gained.
    My logic though has always been the opposite - only turn on what is needed. It seems to often come across that a lot of people do the opposite ie have a lot of things on and need to be told to switch off if it's not being used to save energy and money.

8.30 to 9.30pm on a Saturday evening seems an odd time to do it to me, I can't see much merit in visiting your local beauty spot in the dark!
    Level 92
    @Andy65

It rather depends on who your local beauty spot happens to be....
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 55
    @Mailman

i was able to watch the footy on TV. Clearly Eon Next were hedging their bets , judging by the number of adverts on the pitch side LED screens!!

'Game of Thrones' for this household on Blu Ray - very enjoyable. 😁
    Level 38
    @Mailman @meldrewreborn

England v Brazil footie for me too, then The 1% Club. I managed to get the right answer the 1% question straight away, but I wouldn't have won the money if I'd been brave enough to go on it, because I couldn't answer two of the earlier questions. πŸ˜ƒ