New smart meter needed to change from Flex to Eco 7 tariff?

Level 5
    Hi,
    I have a working smart meter (finally) and am currently on the Next Flex tariff, i.e. the meter currently has a single rate tariff. After having Solar (panels and battery) fitted last month I would like to change tariff from Flex to Eco 7.

I've had a few discussions with customer services and am informed that my meter needs to be changed to a multi rate meter at a cost of £157 to myself in order for this to happen.

Is this correct? My understanding is that SMETS2 meter can have the tariff changed remotely. Are EON unable to do this?

I'd like to stay with EON, but having contacted Octopus following my discussions with EON customer service, Octopus informed that it would no problem to remotely update my meter with the new Octopus tariff if I change supplier.

Who do I speak to at EON to clarify this? Customer service seems to be oblivious to the fact that the meter tariffs can be updated remotely.

Cheers

ColT
  • 4 Replies

Community Team
    Morning @ColT welcome back to the community, thanks for posting 😊

Do you currently have a 2 rate meter?
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳

OUT OF OFFICE UNTIL 01/05/24 🏖

Level 5

They have stated that they have a SMETS2 meter. It would appear they are currently on a single rate tariff, but want to switch to a multi-rate one.

All SMETS2 meters are 'multi-rate' capable - 48 to be precise.

It can be configured as recording single or multi by the supplier. Other suppliers have no issue with this, but there is a 'computer says no' issue at play with E.ON Next - I've been around this loop with customer services and I still don't think anyone grasped it, although finally on the tariff I wanted. There must be some old script from the Ecomony7 meter days that hasn't been updated...
    Level 5

Hi,
    Apparently not, my meter only has one rate, but my understanding is this can be changed remotely rather than a new meter installed. Following my conversation with Octopus, that's how they would do it, update the software remotely. Is this possible, and / or do EON not do this?

Regards

ColT
    Level 5
    [QUOTE=rwh202;48847]They have stated that they have a SMETS2 meter. It would appear they are currently on a single rate tariff, but want to switch to a multi-rate one.

All SMETS2 meters are 'multi-rate' capable - 48 to be precise.

It can be configured as recording single or multi by the supplier. Other suppliers have no issue with this, but there is a 'computer says no' issue at play with E.ON Next /QUOTE]

Hi,

Yes, this is exactly what I wish to do and is also my understanding of the capabilities of the SMETS2 meter I have fitted.

Cheers

ColT