New smart meter needed to change from Flex to Eco 7 tariff?

Level 5
    I have send photos of meter, E-On confirm a twin tariff was installed in 2018. I am waiting for a remote software update. I am told their is a backlog. I was told that E-on have problems, the 'computer is converting unrequested twin tariffs to single tariffs' on transfer from other energy companies, (that is not my problem, but might be cause of backlog, with no end date). Request for Economy 7 tariff June 4th, E-on reminded on Jul 4th on completion of energy transfer from British Gas. Buyer keen to buy..............
    Level 5
    British Gas would/could not change/return my smart twin tariff meter (confirmed by E-on) to Economy 7. I have returned meter to E-on who fitted smart meter. I am still waiting.........
    Level 92
    @Issa

It's illegal to rent a property with an MEEC (EPC in old money) lower than an E rating. If the buyer intends to rent the property out, then the onus is on them to make any changes to bring the property up to scratch.

The property I'm currently renting had a rating one point above an F. Economy 7 would have had no impact on the score. I've dragged it up to a C since living here, but to be fair, it's a 200 year old detached stone-built property which had ample scope for improvement. Electric heating is not the way to do it. Unfortunately, oil or biomass isn't usually an option in most flats.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 5
    The EPC assessors have said that when they manually checked they found the EPC will go up, on a re-test, to 41 points, E rating, if I return the meter to an Economy 7 tariff. The present EPC is a computer calculation.

Other suggestions made by the assessors are to re-install storage heaters or have a zip electric boiler (with Economy 7 tariff) installed or increase insulation to 1 wall shared with common hall (which has no external walls) ( on blogs- I believe by fitting a heater in the common hallway would have overcome this problem-cheap solution, but no space available in very small hall. The Buyer does not want to buy property if he is unable to rent out immediately, he needs the flat to have E rating. The future tenant is a friend he is helping out. I need a E rating if the sale falls through. The flat has been empty since May waiting....... I spent a month trying to get British Gas to change tariff.

In the future most flats/housing will depend on Electricity for heating. All new builds from 2030 will not include a gas boiler. Thank you, all, for passing on your thoughts.
    Level 91
    @Issa

EPC’s are often subjective and getting the assessor to actually confirm things rather than make assumptions (which are often negative to the outcome) is really important.

But the focus should be on getting the tariff you want ASAP. There isn’t a good reason why this cannot be done quickly and therefore a complaint is certainly merited. Has any of the nexties been in touch?
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @Issa

Just a thought. Is the smart meter actually working and sending regular readings? If so, forget Economy 7 (which relies on the meter recording and sending peak and off-peak readings and needs a dual rate meter) but instead sign up for an EV tariff such as Next Drive.

To all intents and purposes this will have the SAME outcome as having an E7 tariff where you get 7 hours of overnight off peak cheaper electricity. The only difference is that the meter sends half hourly readings and these readings are used by the supplier to calculate the off-peak usage and charge it at the lower rate.

There is no legal requirement to actually have an EV. Instead of charging an EV at off-peak rate, you use the electricity at the lower rate for heating and hot water. The other advantage is that, unlike E7, your heating/hot water can be used at any time of day, subject to paying the peak rate outside the 7 hours of cheap rate.

It's a 'workaround' rather than an actual solution but will give you exactly the same result.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 8 Hours Ago at 09:45.
    Level 5
    I have fully quizzed the EPC assessors. I need a Economy 7 tariff to tip the property's rating to an E (41points), which enables me to rent out or in my case to sell to a Landlord. The property has been empty since May, because of the above problem of British Gas and E-ON (who fitted the meter in 2018) This morning I phoned, E-ON again to complain. I was passed on to the Affordability Dept, who passed me on to......a dead line. I phoned again and a guy was able to tell me that a request was sent to the ISA on the 24th June, by a guy who was able to confirm, by photograph, that the property had a dual tariff meter. I am told I will get a phone call from said Guy. I am hunting down that request made 7 weeks ago.
    Level 5
    I can do 'work arounds'. I will suggest to E-On that I change to a Ev Tariff. I will need to check with the assessors if that will work.
    Level 92
    @Issa

It doesn't mater if it's called Economy 7, Next Drive or whatever. The 7 hours of cheaper off-peak electricity between midnight and 7am will have exactly the same outcome.

I don't have a smart meter so the option is not available to me but it it were, I'd sign up! I have no intention of ever getting an EV but have no beef against cheaper electricity for 7 hours a day!
    Level 5
    I am waiting to check wether the EPC assessor agrees thatthe addition of a EV will increase my EPC rating. There is little sensible about EPC ratings.