Energy bills reduction?

View Tag Cloud
    Level 9
    So the energy bills are coming down but the standing charge is going up? And it can take up to 3 top-ups for the "reduction" to update? Does that mean we get a rebate for the first two top-ups? I doubt it very much.

In reality we'll still have high energy bills! Give with one hand and take it back with the other. My standing charges are over £300 a year and I pay more because I pay in advance. Those who have DD are, basically, in debt but pay the least. Totally unfair! Dump the standing charge! You companies are built on greed.
  • 3 Replies

Level 91
    @Tiberius

prepayment customers will pay the lowest charges from April 1, even less than Direct Debit!

what is the source of your information on how the reduced prices will bi implemented?
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @Tiberius

Yes, from April 1 the Prepayment standing charges are going up for some electricity customers (its regional) but going down in others, while ALL gas customers prepayment customers will see a reduction in their standing charges, but the reduction in the unit prices more than offsets that for most users. From April standing charges if customers have both electricity and gas will be from £0.98 to £1.10 per day (region specific) so as you say over £300 per year - somewhere between £360 and £400 per year.

As I understand it, those who top up at a local shop have their readings automatically transferred to their supplier each time they top up. Presumably, once you top up AFTER 1 April the reading for 1 April will be assessed and your new prices applied from then on. The number of top ups between now and 1April is entirely down to the customer's frequency of topping up.

The prepayment prices, VAT inclusive for prepayment customers are shown in the table below. The effect on particular customers will vary according to their consumption level of the different fuels, and what region the live in. I hope this is helpful to you.

Name:  Apr24Pricecapprepay.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  69.8 KB
    Level 91
    I should have added that these are the maximum prices permitted by OFGEM, Eon Next prices are likely to be very similar.