Persistent Gas Meter Reading Issue

Level 7
    @WizzyWigg, @meldrewreborn,

I have an update!

In summary: it looks like we are fixed, but have a new issue

Our MDS on-site visit happened this week. We were pleased that unlike last year's experience, the engineer listened to our explanation and theory of the problem.

He replaced the gas meter, remarking that it was not of a type he'd seen before. He then replaced the electricity meter and comms hub. This meter did not work, so he replaced it with another. The new comms hub is dual-band, though he was concerned that the configuration of our house meant that it was just on the edge of dual-band capabilities. He said that Alt-HAN was not an option in Scotland since its trial use was only taking place in the south.

According to the IHD, all communications have been established, and readings are now visible on the display.

Now the new issue: i thought I'd see what the Bright app showed and was pleased to see that it now had readings for electricity and gas. However... the hourly gas usage on the afternoon that the meter work took place is given as:

0.0, 0.0, 1.63, 0.68, 7,427.67, 0.2, 4.16 KWH.

I'm now looking for advice as to how to address the crazy reading before we get a bill for it! WIll the customer support folks be able to access this info? @Han_EONNext

Thanks all for your help throughout.
    Level 77
    Afternoon @helpmaboab
    So glad to hear the good news in getting the meters to harmoniously communicate.
    As for the latest issue I use that amount of gas in 9/10 months not an hour 😳. You say those figures were taken on the afternoon of installation, does it still show at this moment in time? Just wondering if it's a blip. If it was me I would have a word with CS if it still shows.
    What does the IHD show for that day? I appreciate it won't probably give you an hourly reading. Also if you have the initial meter reading after the installation and compare it with the reading now, that might be worth doing to see if you get a high reading. You will have to convert the difference into KWh. The equation can be found on a statement.
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 1 Week Ago at 15:32. Reason: Extra information
    Level 92
    @helpmaboab

Did they take a final reading off your old meter?
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @helpmaboab

Look at the readings on the actual meter, and compare to the starting figure. Clearly something is not right. To convert cubic meters consumed to an reasonably accurate although approximate kWh figure, multiply by 11.17.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 56
    Now the new issue: i thought I'd see what the Bright app showed and was pleased to see that it now had readings for electricity and gas. However... the hourly gas usage on the afternoon that the meter work took place is given as:

0.0, 0.0, 1.63, 0.68, 7,427.67, 0.2, 4.16 KWH.

I'm now looking for advice as to how to address the crazy reading before we get a bill for it! WIll the customer support folks be able to access this info? @Han_EONNext

Thanks all for your help throughout.

Re this crazy meter read (or rather crazy gas kWh usage), when I moved to my present address nearly 3 years ago I moved into my current 'smart metered' property and have used Bright intermittently since then. I knew that the previous owner had smart meters installed earlier in the year but had left the property largely unoccupied. I first saw actual gas usage on 4th August (0.25kWh) possibly testing the boiler when we had a pre-purchase visit. All the readings from Bright on all tabs showed and still continues to show just this initial gas usage until the day we moved in (27th August). Then from 0800-0830 on the 30th August, after using minimal gas that weekend Bright tells me that I used 7520.35 kWh of gas. Clearly impossible and never backed up by a meter read spinning wildly out of control. I was not billed for such an amount precisely because my meter was behaving itself all the time.

My advice would be to look at your meter reads as recorded within your online account. If your actual gas meter shows readings in line with what your last read in your online account is displaying then no need to worry and check that the Meter Serial Number in your account matches reality as well. You can always trigger a manual statement by submitting an accurate meter read online. 👍
    Level 7
    @Mailman Thanks. It was clearly a blip that was not reflected in my Eon meter readings inline. I've now had a statement which confirms that. Thanks to you, @WizzyWigg, @retrotecchie, @meldrewreborn for providing help and encouragement to get this long running issue fixed.

I wonder how many other customers in the same situation have been fobbed off with the excuse of 'its and industry wide blank meter read problem' when it's just that the comms provided for the smart meters are not adequate for the particular house.