Sudden unexplained £200+ credit on my account?

Level 6
    I 'pay as I go' for energy, and to my knowledge up until a few days ago my account balance was exactly £0 (no more, no less). Today I submitted a requested meter reading, and after doing so I checked my balance on the slim chance the charge was reflected there yet. Imagine my surprise when I see that my £0 account balance is now apparently £200+ in credit!

I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but neither am I one to take apparent good fortune for granted.

I haven't done anything myself to cause this, and I'm not aware of any further government help or schemes that could explain it (and I certainly haven't heard anything about any). I've already received this year's Warm Home Discount, and anyway the amount is too high.

So is this an admin mistake, or a website glitch? Or can I celebrate in safety?

Thanks
  • 3 Replies

Level 6
    Ah, problem solved, I think.

My last few bills were estimated and I just paid them as they came, and it seems I was overpaying, according to my current manual read.
    Level 91
    @PMD

Sounds like you Pay on Receipt of Bill as opposed to Pay As You Go. Always best to submit a reading monthly to keep potential issues to a minimum.

If you prefer to pay that way as opposed to a fixed monthly DD then you can elect to pay by Variable DD which means you only pay for what you use each month but benefit from the DD discount.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Community Team
    @PMD Glad to see that you've got to the bottom of this, from what you have said it does seem you we're slightly overpaying to over-estimated readings - then when an actual read was submitted your balance corrected itself. Have you thought about getting a smart meter at all? That way your read will be taken automatically 😁
    🌳Together we can work to achieve a more sustainable Future 🌳