Confusing Bill 9 months after mum died

Level 1
    My mum died last year 01/05/23. As the executor in her will I contacted e.on to inform them of her death, to close her account and to change the account in to my brother and his wife's name, if I remember correctly I think e.on sent me a cheque for a couple of pound that was credit on my mum's prepayment meter. I thought that would be the end of it. But one of my sister's have just received an email from e.on saying since she is the executor (she isn't) she will have to pay an outstanding bill within 7days. On the bill it says the dates from 17/05/23 -19/02/24
    We have charged you including vat
    30/06/23 faulty meter debt £207.68 DR
    30/06/23 Incorrect read £195.96 DR

Then below that it has
    We have credited you
    30/03/23 warm home discount £150 CR
    29/06/23 write off- final exhausted all processes £195.98 CR
    05/07/23 Standard of performance (final bill overdue) £30 CR

can anyone explain why e.on did not contact myself knowing I was the executor?
    how can they bill her up until the 19th February this year when she died 9months ago?
    And can we be billed for a faulty meter 9months after she died, the meter is no longer in the house due to my brother getting a smart meter.

I hope this all makes sense to someone who could then help me understand.
  • 2 Replies

Community Team
    Hiya @Shyanne,

Thanks for taking the time to post. This does sound like a bit of a pickle 🤔 When your Mother's account was closed who received the final bill was it yourself or your sister?
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳

OUT OF OFFICE UNTIL 01/05/24 🏖

Level 91
    @Shyanne

at the very least there should be a comprehensive explanation of the circumstance. Whether the bill is correct seems rather doubtful.

Your sister should make an immediate complaint as in any event she isn’t liable for anything. If you wish you could contact Eon Next with your Executor hat on and demand an explanation. But my inclination would be for them to contact you. As your mum was on prepayment logically she can’t now owe anything. And presumably your brother has his own account in the property.

sounds like this is a complete mistake.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.