Smart meter replacement - will new IHD be included?

Level 1
    Hello, I have received the following message:

"Hi, it's E.ON Next. We've identified that your smart meters will stop working soon. You'll soon receive a message from 447507309093 to book your appointment to exchange them. Please reply to the message that follows."

My understanding is that I have a SMETS1 electricity meter and a dumb gas meter. When I moved into the property two years ago there was no IHD - I'm guessing the previous occupants took it with them. I also recently moved from British Gas to E.On.

With the installation of new smart meters, will this be an opportunity to get a new IHD that can work with both meters? Do I need to specifically request one before or at the point of installation?
  • 3 Replies

Level 91
    @joek666

you should insist upon a new IHD as once such device is paired to meters it doesn’t work with any other. New meters = new IHD, the old one even if you had it, wouldn’t function at all.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    Thanks, I will certainly ask for a new IHD when they come to change the meters.

I was just wondering with the SMETS1 electricity meter if they will actually just upgrade it rather than replace it, so is there a chance they will say I should already have an IHD, and to just continue using that instead. Could the old IHD - wherever it may be - theoretically be paired with a new gas smart meter alongside the existing smart electricity meter?

The previous occupants took everything that wasn't nailed down, and quite a lot that was, including the doorbell, fire alarms, curtain rails, etc. They would have taken the meters as well if they could.
    Level 91
    @joek666.

the old meter is probably not able to be upgraded, such action was taken remotely by DCC in recent years. Some meters were not upgradable because of manufacturer non cooperation and others because of technical issues. And upgrade is a tech bench job now. But there is always the exception to the rule.