What is 'positive energy' anyway?

Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

Apart from the one where he says smart meters save you money.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 82
    @meldrewreborn

Apart from the one where he says smart meters save you money.
    ....๐Ÿ˜‚.๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚.๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
    Level 92
    One of my greatest inspirations during my education was my 6th Form Physics tutor. Mr Hayter did his very best to beat a bit of knowledge and learning into my grey cells and I managed to get two very decent A Levels in both Physics and Electronics.

We had double Physics on Monday to Wednesday which gave us all the lab time and proper structured teaching, but wound up with a 'mini' 35 minute slot on a Thursday in a random old-fashioned classroom with nothing but a blackboard and a bunch of desks and chairs.

Mr Hayter was adamant that we couldn't really do much in 35 minutes, other than reading up or a bit of Q and A. However, he agreed that if we all promised to knuckle down and get on with 'proper work' during the three double lessons, then he was happy to open up the Thursday session as a 'free for all, no hold barred' discussion forum for anything physics related that we were interested in but wasn't actually in the syllabus. We even got issued an extra workbook for keeping notes. I still have my books from school and the 'Thursday session' book (titled 'Relativity and All Things Cosmic') is one of my most cherished treasures, and a source of 'positive energy' when I dip into it. Plus a bit of 'dark energy' too ๐Ÿค“

We touched on astronomy, astrophysics, string theory, black holes and all manner of interesting stuff. We even got enthusiastic enough to arrange extramural activities and class trips to nuclear power stations, the Greenwich Royal Observatory, The Royal Institution and Goonhilly Down.

To this day, I still eat up anything to do with physics and 'every day is a school day' if I have my nose in a book by Brian Cox or Patrick Moore ๐Ÿ‘
    Level 82
    About the only thing that sticks in my mind about our A Level physics master was that you should never turn your back on a Van de Graaff generator when it's at full pelt. ๐Ÿ˜ณ
    Positive Energy straight between his shoulder blades ๐Ÿ˜ต.
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 01-01-24 at 15:10.
    Level 92
    @WizzyWigg

Our Mr Hayter was a bit of a bible basher and regularly use to deliberately misquote scriptural verses to the class. His take on 1 Timothy 6:10 (Love of money is the root of all evil) became 'Students are the root of all evil', which was my favourite.

We had a lad in our class who was a 'born again hippie'. He had long greasy hair, wore a flowery waistcoat and Dr Marten boots painted purple with yellow spots and used the word 'cosmic' in almost every conversation. He defined a new set of SI Units (Systeme Idiotique) in which the base unit of intelligence was the Muncaster, being the author of our main text book. He mooted that the Hayter was a submultiple of the Muncaster with a kiloHayter being the equivalent of a Muncaster. He never quite got his head round why he was always referred to by Mr Hayter (and the rest of us) as 'Nano'. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ
    Level 82
    @retrotecchie Hey dude. That's far out man. Peace โœŒ.
    Woodstock for ever ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’. ๐Ÿ‘ด
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

my favourite memory was the experiment with a long capped tube part filled with some lead shot which was then tipped up and down causing heat in the lead shot. On this one occasion one of the end caps gave way allowing the lead shot to cascade over the lab floor!
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but Iโ€™ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 21
    @CaseyRoo
    I wish that people would not mix up a subjective feel-goody idea with the precisely defined measurable and meterable term "energy" which could be better used if reserved for I.V.dt and comparably exact quantities such as mechanical work done.
    Guessing that the original post was about something close to English word "positivity", I had a few goes at google translate to get something back in various random languages. I really hope that Casey or someone can have a few goes and try to do better than I. jรกkvรฆรฐni in Icelandic.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

my favourite memory was the experiment with a long capped tube part filled with some lead shot which was then tipped up and down causing heat in the lead shot. On this one occasion one of the end caps gave way allowing the lead shot to cascade over the lab floor!

Similar happened when I was in a science lesson at school and the teacher was demonstrating the Cartesian Diver. He pushed so hard on the stopper that the whole bottle smashed to bits and flooded his desk.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.