Never offered IHD and now need to pay

Level 1
    Hello, when I changed to eon next about 3 years ago, I never received an IHD.
    Now I just signed up to a Next drive tariff and asked about a IHD at the same time. They told told me I could just call up and request one.
    So I done just that and they tell me because it’s been more than 2 years since I’ve been with Eon Next, the time has run out and I must pay for one. Even though I was never offered one originally. Is that right? Seems a little unfair especially since when I just this week fixed again they said just to call out to request a IHD, they never mentioned it would come at a cost…
    thanks
  • 8 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 92
    Best Answer
    @Gsul1

Who were you with before E.On Next or, more importantly, who installed the smart meters and when? Did they not provide an IHD? They are only supplied as part of a smart meter installation and not as an 'aftermarket' option. Alternatively, if you have working smart meters and download one of the free apps from Bright or Hugo, you don't really need an IHD. You don't need one to get the drive tariff, and even if you had one, it wouldn't help much as they only work properly with single rate tariffs.

You do have an option to purchase an IHD from Chameleon for around £50 if you really want one, subject to having compatible communicating smart meters
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 16-12-23 at 00:01.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 1
    Hello thanks for the reply. I think I was with Scottish gas but when I changed to Eon next the IHD never worked.

I’ll try one of the free apps
    thanks
    Level 92
    @Gsul1

Do the meters themselves work, or do you have to send manual readings? If the meters themselves are not communicating, then all bets are off. The apps require functional communication and full connectivity for the apps to work.

If your meters are working smartly, then it's worth digging out the old BG IHD and trying it again, if you still have it. It will still be paired to the HAN on your meters, even if the WAN has been adopted by DCC.

Last edited by retrotecchie; 16-12-23 at 00:05.
    Level 1
    @retrotecchie
    yeah meters are working perfectly.
    ah okay, let me try dig the old IHD out. I’m sure I wouldn’t have thrown it out… 😂
    Community Team
    Hello @Gsul1 👋 Did the IHD work? It would be great to hear an update from you 😀
    🌳Together we can work to achieve a more sustainable Future 🌳
    Level 1
    Hello, unfortunately I could not find it But thinking back I just don’t know that I ever had one. The house was empty for years before I got it so I’m thinking. When I got smart meters upgraded they couldn’t do the gas anyway cause needed a special meter for the pressure. And when I finally got it, no IHD.
    Kind of back to square one again 🙁
    I want an IHD to check and save money. Doesn’t work that way if I have to spend £50 for that pleasure 😂
    Level 91
    @Gsul1

Many of us don't have or want smart meters. Yet by monitoring our consumption (from periodic readings direct from the meter) we are largely able to control our expenditure - although we can't control the weather.

Your bills consist of two elements a standing daily charge and the another charge based upon consumption. There's no use worrying about the standing charge because you can't remove or reduce it. The consumption though is entirely down to you. I posted The likely prices from January here:

https://community.eonnext.com/thread...ll=1#post44312

If you are on a fixed tariff you can get the detail from your bills. Using the kwh data from electricity and multiplying it by the unit prices is straightforward. Gas is measured in imperial or metric units and requires a conversion to get to kWh. I take readings once a month at the month end and sometimes mid month...Others do it more often.

Essentially everything you use costs you money. Working out what are the main drivers of your consumption is the key to contolling your expenditure, but smart meters don't actually allow you to identify those.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @Gsul1

Smart meters won't save any money whether you have an IHD or not. In fact, they cost money to the tune of around £18 a year for every bill payer. To save money, just use less energy. It's as simple as that. You don't need an IHD to tell you it's just cost you 10p to boil a kettle.