Problem with IHD - initially not showing gas history, now not connecting

Level 91
    Thanks for the reassurance :-)

No guarantees… but we live in hope 🤞

Much patience is needed when smart meters stop communicating 😇
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 1
    Well, we did finally get the IHD showing information!! BUT we seem to be back to stage where we started. The IHD still sometimes loses the previous day's gas usage overnight - but now sometimes it does come back. EON say they can't help with IHD problems or with the EON App (which, they say, they know sometimes loses data)!!

Further investigations show that, as well as the IHD losing previous day's gas usage, we get quite different figures from IHD, EON App, Bright App, and Loop App. The Loop App at least flags some of the readings as "possibly faulty". No idea what is going on but it does seem as if the communications is faulty somewhere but EON aren't interested.

Latest interaction with EON via chat left us in limbo. At least they finally confirmed that they are getting data for both gas and electricity but they can only let their Smart team know what is happening. I said I didn't think this was good as we cannot get reliable information on our energy usage. They simply said they will note my feedback ... to which I said I was happy to provide more feedback if that might improve the customer service. They sent me a link to a form which I completed. Another EON rep then jumped in on the feedback and asked for our contact details - which we provided. He responded by saying he was "saddened" but was providing us with "a platform to speak to us"! I have asked what this means and if it might get our meter readings sorted so that we know what energy we are using. That was 24 hours ago but maybe Christmas holidays will cause a delay.

The message seems to be that providing EON have the data to send us bills, they aren't interested in us being able to monitor or adjust our energy usage.
    Level 80
    Further investigations show that, as well as the IHD losing previous day's gas usage, we get quite different figures from IHD, EON App, Bright App, and Loop App. The Loop App at least flags some of the readings as "possibly faulty". No idea what is going on but it does seem as if the communications is faulty somewhere but EON aren't interested.
    Morning. I have unfortunately never found any of the apps to be accurate. They are possibly useful as guides but nothing else. Much the same with the IHDs.
    Sorry but the only accurate way to manage usage is with manual readings and pen and paper (or a spreadsheet).
    Level 1
    @WizzyWigg - Oh dear, you have depressed me now - you have ruined Christmas!!

We used to rely on the IHD and never really noticed if it might be a bit out. It was only when it lost all the gas usage from previous day that we started to investigate and people recommended Apps so we gave them a try. We haven't got time to fiddle around with physical meters (pressing button umpteen times to get the right display - and do they deal with day / night time rates??) so the idea of having a little display (IHD) in the kitchen appealed ..... but it is no good if it is losing data so, for instance we can't see how much we used yesterday and can't rely on it being close to the real figures.

Is it too complicated for energy providers to fathom or do they just not care about their customers or the environment?
    Level 92
    @TWhits

The ONLY purpose for a meter is to accurately measure consumption for billing purposes. Any other 'bells and whistles' are not a mandatory requirement.

I don't have a smart meter and nor do I want one. Nothing says I legally need to have one. Sure, if you have one you would expect it to perform as advertised, but very few actually do.

I can count the folks I know with a smart meter that is 100% reliable, has never lost communication or has been accurate all the time and displaying trustworthy data on the IHD on the fingers of one leg.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @WizzyWigg - Oh dear, you have depressed me now - you have ruined Christmas!!

I've always found that where there is actually data in my Bright app then that data is pretty accurate. Hopefully you can now regain some festive spirit 🎅
    Level 29
    Morning. I have unfortunately never found any of the apps to be accurate. They are possibly useful as guides but nothing else. Much the same with the IHDs.
    Sorry but the only accurate way to manage usage is with manual readings and pen and paper (or a spreadsheet).
    I don't understand why you have problems with apps (apart from the EOn app itself which is pretty rubbish)

In my experience the Bright app is 100% accurate, displaying the ½hr kWh meter readings & costs, pulled via the DCC. (The costs will correct if you update your tariff rates in Bright, if the incorrect values are currently stored on the meter)

Same with the data downloaded from their parent website Glowmarkt which exactly matches the billing data used by EOn, since both pull the ½ hourly readings directly from the meter (via the DCC)
    Level 80
    I don't understand why you have problems with apps (apart from the EOn app itself which is pretty rubbish)

In my experience the Bright app is 100% accurate, displaying the ½hr kWh meter readings & costs, pulled via the DCC. (The costs will correct if you update your tariff rates in Bright, if the incorrect values are currently stored on the meter)

Same with the data downloaded from their parent website Glowmarkt which exactly matches the billing data used by EOn, since both pull the ½ hourly readings directly from the meter (via the DCC)
    Due to an "industry wide issue" my " Smart Meters " only communicate with the DCC when they feel like it. 50% of the time there is no communication.
    Level 91
    @WizzyWigg .

Is it too complicated for energy providers to fathom or do they just not care about their customers or the environment?

these meters are promoted to customers on the basis of advantages that in reality are extras which the supplier is under no obligation to deliver or maintain. Because you do not directly pay for the meter you have no contractual rights to fall back on and so long as the meters actually record your consumption you face a long battle to get the advertised advantages back working.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.