All Electric - Recommendation for Wall Heaters

Level 1
    Good morning - Properly a question tailored to the community who have all electric heating.

Last year April 2022 I purchased a two bedroom flat which came with Adax Panel WiFi Heaters in every room i.e open plan living room, both bedrooms and hallway. At the time I believed they were great as I could control the heaters individually and also program a schedule (bonus they also look ascetically nice).

However fast forward to now and my thoughts on these have changed a bit primarily due to the increased costs of electricity. They do work well but I don't think they are as great for distributing heat well as I do have quite large rooms.

More importantly they don't retain heat a traditional like an oil/ceramic radiator would which would keep a room warm for while even after bing switched off.

So I am thinking of replacing them for a more 'conventional' type of wall heater and wanted to find out if the community had any recommendations?

I do have some portable oil heaters which do a good job with keeping a room warm and are cost efficient but if anyone has advice on wall mounted variations I am all ears.

They dont need to necassirly be 'smart' as I could control the units with smart plugs and program a schedule.

Just for clarity I live in a converted house which has 2 floors (I am on-top). Also I had to repair the floorboards in the attic so while doing that had extra quality insulation topper added.

I realise this is a mouthful but I wanted to give as much context as possible. Can always give more if needed.

Thanks for reading.

For reference I am on the Next Pledge Tracker 12m V2:Day rate - 35.55 p/kWh
    Night rate - 12.25 p/kWh
    Standing charge - 49.69 p/day
  • 4 Replies

Community Team
    Hey @wycombe-wanderer 👋

Firstly welcome to the community! It's so lovely to have you here.

You've raised some really good questions, there are a number of different types of heaters which can make it a little difficult to know which is going to be best suited to you.

I know it's been a while but did you manage to find an alternative? Let us know! We'd love to hear more 💜

If not, let's talk more about it now, personally I think it depends on a lot of factors, firstly to do with the room, to then know what may be best. Are the rooms well insulated or do you notice there is a lot of draft?
    Knowledge is power, community is strength, and positive attitude is everything 💜
    Level 91
    @wycombe-wanderer

How much electricity do you consume? I'm presuming that the walls are not that well insulated and therefore your bill will be a tad heavy.

In an all electric flat I'd recommend thermostatically controlled storage radiators - the thermostatic bit is very important. I don't know if wall mounting is possible but I personally wouldn't let that be the deciding factor.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @wycombe-wanderer

The 'state of the art' for wall-hung thermostatic storage radiators seem to be the offerings from Fischer Heat. I'm sure that Dimplex probably offer alternatives.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.