Why does my neighbour get a better tariff than me?

Level 13
    I see the cheaper fixed tariff doing an online search using the main EON webpage, then log on to my account to get that tariff and its not there. It seems the cheaper tariff is offered to others on my street, but not me? Everyone within a particular region should get offered the same tariff, right?

The one I was looking at had electricity at 29p per KWH. But as I said, when I logged on my account, it isnt there.

Are we all being indvidually profiled? I find it strange we cant shop around for an energy quote without telling everybody precisley where we live.

Update: the tariff i think i was looking at is called the Next Pledge Tracker v2 ??
    Last edited by MAW; 09-10-23 at 21:33.
  • 8 Replies

Level 77
    @MAW

In your account did you look under the menu on the right. You'll see energy and tariffs. Click on that and then click on our tariffs. Go down page until you see check out our range of tariffs. Enter your post code and you should see a list of tariffs for your area. If you are already on a fixed tariff and it's more than 45 days before it ends you will have to contact Customer Services directly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 09-10-23 at 21:38. Reason: Grammar mistake
    Level 55
    I see the cheaper fixed tariff doing an online search using the main EON webpage, then log on to my account to get that tariff and its not there. It seems the cheaper tariff is offered to others on my street, but not me? Everyone within a particular region should get offered the same tariff, right?

The one I was looking at had electricity at 29p per KWH. But as I said, when I logged on my account, it isnt there.

Are we all being indvidually profiled? I find it strange we cant shop around for an energy quote without telling everybody precisley where we live.

If you see a cheaper tariff (for your region) via the tariff menu of your online account (go right to the very bottom and input your postcode to see the precise tariffs currently available to you) you will need to make direct contact with Eon Next to be transferred onto it (I think). These will not necessarily be offered to you in the home page of your account unless you are coming to the end of a fix. For example I am currently on Loyalty Fix v4 but I know that it is slightly more expensive than Next Flex and at least one other tariff. I don't expect Eon Next to be detailing all the tariffs available to me as a customer in the home page of my account.

If you want a precise quote for energy you have to give a postcode to find out what it is in your region. It has always been like this and will continue to be the case the way energy is sold to any customer. 👍
    Last edited by Mailman; 10-10-23 at 07:10.
    Level 92
    @MAW

Do you pay by Direct Debit, or by some other method? Tariffs you may be offered from your account page will depend on your payment method. Perhaps you pay by a non DD method and all your neighbours pay by DD so get better rates.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 13
    AH OK, no I dont pay by DD. Giving EON the ability to take whatever they think is my bill amount without my authority each time is really scary. If they had the DD authority last winter they would have taken £1500 one month instead of the £300 it actually should have been. Luckily I dont pay by DD so I withheld payment until it was sorted out. Otherwise they would have emptied my account.
    Level 13
    " I don't expect Eon Next to be detailing all the tariffs available to me as a customer in the home page of my account." .. why not? whats the harm? Its your account, you should be told all the options available to you.
    Level 92
    AH OK, no I dont pay by DD.

There you go then. That is most likely why your neighbours have cheaper rates. They'll be saving about £200 a year compared to non DD payment methods.

Level 91
    @retrotecchie

the higher cost is circa 7% at typical consumption levels but fuel mix and consumption levels mean the exact difference for an individual household will be slightly different.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 13
    unfortuntely not only do you have to put in your postcode, you have to put in your exact address. this is obviously a way of profiling the individual, why else would they need your precise address? In any event, my precise address is not listed on EONs website, even though my account has my precise address and other energy websites have it as well.... so I put in next doors address instead.