Air source heat pumps in winter: Busting the myth

Level 21
    It would be better to turn off gas generated electricity - its the most expensive fuel source and keeps the prices paid for electricity generated by the other fuels almost as high. Coal generation with CO2 capture is a better solution - and less expensive - but try telling that to the eco brigade.

It wasn't the eco brigade who stopped a large-pilot scale carbon capture and storage coal burner in Texas in 2020. It was their accountants. I favour a multitude of different renewables to cover most requirements at most times, and such sites as air traffic control who can't go unpowered for even a second are closer to the batteries than the rest of us, as we don't want to pay extra for no seconds without electricity.
    Level 91
    @wizzo227

Perhaps but times change and so do the economics. If we can guarantee a price for renewables why can't we guarantee a price for Coal with CCS?
    Various schemes have been proposed in the UK but as CCS adds considerable to the coast of coal generation it wasn't able to proceed - but gas was much cheaper then.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.