Take a breather

Level 81
    @DebF_EONNext
    ........ I'm wondering if someone, with their 'apprentice', was legitimately out early doors doing some arborial work in the area and accidentally cut down the wrong tree?
    If the senior member of the two had the necessary qualification to use a chainsaw for legitimate arborial use, I would be seriously worried, and would definitely not let that theoretical individual any where near trees. As you rightly said there is no indication of the distinctive wedge cut. The tree could have fallen in any direction. 😱
    @WizzyWigg & @retrotecchie & @Mailman

It was a very stupid and dangerous thing for the mindless vandals to do. As you say, the tree could have fallen in any direction.

It's been on our radio news that the local pub 'The Twice Brewed Inn' which is about half a mile away from Sycamore Gap has offered a reward of a £1500 bar tab to anyone with information on what happened. Plus a crowd funding page has raised over £2000 already for the National Trust and Northumberland National Parks future projects along Hadrians Wall, so some good has come out of the vandalism with the charity donations being made.🌳

Name:  0_Brian-Eyler.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  76.7 KB.
    Last edited by Tommysgirl; 29-09-23 at 12:28. Reason: Adding info
    Level 81
    @Tommysgirl That is good to hear of the donations. I would like to think that the felled tree will not be used for fuel, but seasoned and turned into useful items that will live on. Sycamore is brilliant for kitchen utensils. Breadboards, bowls, spoons etc.
    @Tommysgirl That is good to hear of the donations. I would like to think that the felled tree will not be used for fuel, but seasoned and turned into useful items that will live on. Sycamore is brilliant for kitchen utensils. Breadboards, bowls, spoons etc.

It'll be very fitting if they do that, and some of the proceeds from the sales could go to the fund help future projects. Some of The National Trust, and Northumberland National Park staff will hopefully think of that, as a way of making the tree 'live on'. πŸŒ³πŸ‘
    @WizzyWigg

Just as an update, I've emailed the National Trust, and National Park authority, and informed them about your excellent idea of what to do with the wood from the felled tree. I didn't give them your WizzyWigg name, I referred to you as fellow member of a forum I'm a member of. I'll let you know if I receive a reply from them. πŸ‘
    Level 81
    @WizzyWigg

Just as an update, I've emailed the National Trust, and National Park authority, and informed them about your excellent idea of what to do with the wood from the felled tree. I didn't give them your WizzyWigg name, I referred to you as fellow member of a forum I'm a member of. I'll let you know if I receive a reply from them. πŸ‘
    That is absolutely brilliant. πŸ‘. Thank you so much for doing that. I'm sure I speak on behalf of all of the members. Thank you. πŸ‘΄
    @WizzyWigg

You're very welcome.πŸ˜ƒπŸ‘
    Level 57
    @WizzyWigg

Really good idea this and uplifting at the same time. πŸ‘ 🍻

The news has spread worldwide 🌍. I was speaking to a friend in Melbourne that I play online golf with this morning. He even had some 'Sycamore Gap' photos as part of his screensaver. He was dumfounded as I was (and still am).

Perhaps the very fact that the weather was so inclement due to storm Agnes passing through on that night meant that the *****(s) responsible felt they were not going to be disturbed. Definitely a callous pre-meditated act rather than the incidental vandalism that is all too common these days.

Having seen more footage today it appears that the tree was 'marked' with some kind of white marker/paint prior to the chainshaw being used. At least the SOCO's may get some forensic evidence as well, to make a prosection highly likely and make this ***** suffer in the months to come. If we lived in medieval times even the oubliette would be too good for the perp(s) but no doubt it will be a fine (max Β£20,000 possibly) and/or community service.

Name:  Sycamore_Marking.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  78.6 KB
    Level 92
    That is absolutely brilliant. πŸ‘. Thank you so much for doing that. I'm sure I speak on behalf of all of the members. Thank you. πŸ‘΄

But if they just want rid, I can arrange to be passing next week with a van and a chainsaw.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 81
    But if they just want rid, I can arrange to be passing next week with a van and a chainsaw.
    😱 😱 😱. No no no, unless you know someone who is passionate about saving the wood for posterity. By the by have you got your City and Guilds qualification? πŸ€” 😱 😱