Account Transfer Dilemma

Level 1
    I moved in May and notified EonNext's customer service about it, providing them with the new meter reading. However, I discovered that the account number for my new home is different from my current online personal account. I feel like I've been paying bills for my old home all along. So, I contacted customer service to inquire about the situation and requested them to correct my personal account to the correct account number and cancel the old home's account. Unfortunately, it's been a month, and no customer service representative has been able to assist me. Is there anyone else who can help me with this? Or knowing something about this situation?
  • 10 Replies

Level 57
    When you moved from your old home that , I assume was supplied by Eon Next, you needed to inform them of a 'change of tenancy', asking them to provide the final bill for this old address having given them your closing meter readings. When you moved to your new home you are on the deemed supplier (whoever was supplying the previous occupier) and would have needed to create a new account with this incumbent supplier providing opening reads before transferring to a supplier of your choice. If Eon Next was both the old and the incumbent supplier I would imagine that the old account needs to be closed and another diiferent one opened up for your new address.
    Last edited by Mailman; 27-08-23 at 23:04.
    Level 1
    So now I just keep asking to cancel the old account until they are willing to reply 😭
    Level 91
    @philliphamano

Have a look at the information in the link below to see which route you took when you moved home…
    https://www.eonnext.com/help/moving-home

If you informed Eon Next you were moving and wanted to stay with them then the way I read it you keep your old account and if you had any credit balance it would have stayed on that account.

Have a look in your online account and look back at your transactions and past statements. These should show all the meter readings so you should be able to work out what’s going on. Presumably you took final readings at your old property and opening ones at your new property. Do these show in your May statement?

Did you have smart meters at your old home and do you have them now? Do you submit your own readings? Do the readings on your latest bill tally with the meters in your new home? Did you ever have to pay anything to the existing supplier of your new home?

Lots of questions I’m afraid but you should know from your bills, and the meter readings therein, what consumption you’re paying for. If you’re paying for consumption at your old address then who is paying for the consumption at your current address?

If you were with Eon Next at your old address and told them you were moving and wanted to stay with them then I would have thought that they did all the leg work and you just supplied the old and new readings.

This isn’t something I have personal experience of but I would be looking at all the information in my account to try to make sense of it all.

Edit… If you look on your statements, not only should your current address at the time be on them but also the meter serial numbers. These should tell you if you are paying for your own consumption or that at your previous address.
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 28-08-23 at 07:27.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 57
    So now I just keep asking to cancel the old account until they are willing to reply 😭

In addition to following the advice above four questions for you:

1. When you moved out of your old address did you provide closing reads?
    2. Are these closing reads showing in your online account?
    3. Are there any additional estimated or smart reads showing for your meters associated with your old address AFTER you moved out in May.
    4. You also need to confirm that Eon Next is indeed the supplier at your new address using This Ofgem link

Point 4 in particular is something that catches out many homemovers out as they are often unaware of the need to initially create an account with the incumbent supplier at the new address they are moving to. Yes you can have your energy provided by Eon Next but only AFTER you have created an account if the incumbent supplier is different. lf Eon Next is the incumbent and is confirmed in the Ofgem link perhaps you will need to create a separate account and Customer Services should sort this out for you. Phoning is better than it used to be BTW.
    Level 1
    When I moved in May, customer service did not ask me to provide the final reading because my old home was an apartment, and the receptionist would provide Eonnext with daily readings for all residents. I thought they already knew. I need to inquire with the reception to see if they have the data records from that time.

Eonnext is the supplier for my new home because they have already sent a letter stating that I owe them fees.
    Level 57
    When I moved in May, customer service did not ask me to provide the final reading because my old home was an apartment, and the receptionist would provide Eonnext with daily readings for all residents. I thought they already knew. I need to inquire with the reception to see if they have the data records from that time.

Eonnext is the supplier for my new home because they have already sent a letter stating that I owe them fees.

Let me ask the question in a slightly different way.

Does the Eon Next account for your old apartment show the readings from your meter(s) at this apartment (like the listing below)? What was the last reading date showing on your account? It would be marked as Smart or Customer (or occasionally Meter Reader)

Name:  Metr_Read_History.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  20.4 KB

Have you checked the link in my previous post to double check that Eon Next are actually listed as the supplier to your new home? Just trying to rule out another potential issue.

The fact that it is an apartment probably should make no difference although meter access might have been an issue for the residents. I doubt whether the reception had the authority to enter meter readings on your behalf to Eon Next directly as they would not have access to online accounts in the way that you do. Possibly though your meter may be Smart which may simplify things a little. Hopefully though they may have these readings going all the way back to when you moved out.
    Level 1
    My old flat apartment is a building of Build to Rent. So the reception have the right to access. But they don't have smart meter. Here is they sent me the final reading on May.
    Name:  IMG_20230528_154718184.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  38.4 KB
    I checked your link and it said my new home electricity network operator is GTC. I will talk to Eonnext customer service to have a look.
    Anyway, many thanks for helping me to this issue. I'm very appreciate it.
    Level 92
    @philliphamano

GTC are a smaller Independent Distribution Network Operator who put in a lot of the infrastructure on new builds, apartment complexes and other developments. They are only responsible for the supply up until your actual meter.

However, it may be worth giving them a call as they should be able to tell you which supplier is actually registered to the property.

From their website:

How do I know who my electricity supplier is?
    To find out who your electricity supplier is, please contact us directly on 01359 302255.
    Please contact your electricity supplier for queries about your:

• Electricity bill
    • Electricity meter
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 92
    @philliphamano

And that meter in the picture is a proper meter! I have one of those. I would never change it! I even have a spare!