Smart Meter Installation - Not working in Smart Mode

Level 5

@retrotecchie Just spotted this but looks like it very much applies to me to. When i woke up this morning I never thought for an instant I would be getting so familiar with the Smart meter or associated Comms Hub. I live fairly close to Penrith in a small village and of course Cumbria HQ is there with associated comms above the town.
    The info you supplied is extremely useful if only to know the worst case scenario. My circumstance is slightly exacerbated by the fact that the meter and associated Comms hub are located under my property in a Void (dont ask!!!). There will be therefore some significant losses to exit the property before any signal has to battle with interference with the likes of Tetra etc.

I have been given an idea of some sort of "passive antenna" !!! effectively an antenna close to the meter, attached to a 2nd antenna with appropriate coax located on the outside of the property with both effectively being in the 400-430Mhz range. The thought process being any signal eminated from the hub has at least an easy route out of the building. Antenna and general accessories are readily available from the internet and not huge expense ...... Thoughts ??
    Last edited by LakelandStrider; 1 Week Ago at 11:22. Reason: correcting mistakes
    Level 92
    @LakelandStrider

You could try a length of 50 ohm coax with a 433MHz helical stub antenna on each end (I mooted the same idea on a thread a while back) but you are as likely to get as good a result with just a length of coax with a few inches of the outer jacket stripped back and the centre core used to wrap around the smart meter antenna and just one helical outdoors. That is to say, hit and miss either way. I have 433MHz helicals wired up exactly thus to extend the range of my wireless doorbell receiver to the other end of a long garden when I'm outdoors.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 5
    Thanks

I will order a couple of antenna and some 50 ohm coax and knock uo something over the next week to at least see what happens.
    Level 91
    @LakelandStrider

Hopefully it works - then you can offer advice to others!
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.