IHD Tariff Update Request More Troublesome Than Normal

Level 92
    For the newer generation that were born into a world where apps are the lingua franca, if the interwebs or the app goes down, they're kippered.

Us more chronologically gifted 👵👴 types who know how to work it out on the back of a cigarette packet with a stub of pencil won't suffer so much in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

A friend of mine is diabetic and every day they take a blood sample from a finger pr1ck and take a glucose reading. They write it on a piece of paper and can see at a glance if their sugar is too high or too low.

Recently I've seen adverts on TV for a sensor you have fitted to your shoulder or upper arm and you use a phone app to read your levels and record your readings. It gives you alerts and notifications on your phone. I heard the other day on the news that the app just suddenly stopped working and that thousands of folks are now hopelessly confused and don't know what to do with their sugar levels. My pal just happily carries on as normal.

Same with most apps that replace manual methods. You become reliant on them, and then when things go wrong, no backup plan.

"Oooh....my IHD has stopped working or my app is not correct. My finances are in a pickle because I have no idea what energy I'm using or how high my bills are going to be."

"Hold my beer and pass me that pencil!"
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 21-07-23 at 10:38. Reason: The fun police censored pr1ck
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 81
    For the newer generation that were born into a world where apps are the lingua franca, if the interwebs or the app goes down, they're kippered.

Us more chronologically gifted 👵👴 types who know how to work it out on the back of a cigarette packet with a stub of pencil won't suffer so much in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

A friend of mine is diabetic and every day they take a blood sample from a finger pr1ck and take a glucose reading. They write it on a piece of paper and can see at a glance if their sugar is too high or too low.

Recently I've seen adverts on TV for a sensor you have fitted to your shoulder or upper arm and you use a phone app to read your levels and record your readings. It gives you alerts and notifications on your phone. I heard the other day on the news that the app just suddenly stopped working and that thousands of folks are now hopelessly confused and don't know what to do with their sugar levels. My pal just happily carries on as normal.

Same with most apps that replace manual methods. You become reliant on them, and then when things go wrong, no backup plan.

"Oooh....my IHD has stopped working or my app is not correct. My finances are in a pickle because I have no idea what energy I'm using or how high my bills are going to be."

"Hold my beer and pass me that pencil!"
    Brilliantly said. 👍
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

Just because things can be done in new ways, doesn't mean that they are automatically better. My now departed mother used to go (25 years ago) into the bank and cash a cheque when she needed money. The staff would tell her that she could get her money from the machine outside, she would tell them that she was keeping them in a job. Not enough like her around today and bank and building society branches are closing nearly every day.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie @meldrewreborn @WizzyWigg

I think I’m an in-betweener here. I can manage fine without apps and resisted for a long time. In fact I resist most things IT and then when I try something new and get used to it I love it.

I remember well queuing in banks to cash a cheque to get some money out etc. Then I reluctantly moved on to internet banking and everything became so much easier. Then when I finally got the banking app it got easier still.

Yep, if there’s an app that makes things easier for me then I’ll give it a go. If the app fails then I move back to the next easiest thing.

Appy days 😂
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 81
    @retrotecchie @meldrewreborn @WizzyWigg

I think I’m an in-betweener here. I can manage fine without apps and resisted for a long time. In fact I resist most things IT and then when I try something new and get used to it I love it.

I remember well queuing in banks to cash a cheque to get some money out etc. Then I reluctantly moved on to internet banking and everything became so much easier. Then when I finally got the banking app it got easier still.

Yep, if there’s an app that makes things easier for me then I’ll give it a go. If the app fails then I move back to the next easiest thing.

Appy days 😂
    Gosh you are brave. I have got as far as internet banking out of necessity. Banks are a dying breed round here. But using an app is way too scary 👻.
    Level 91
    @WizzyWigg

You really don’t use banking apps? I think they’re marvellous. So quick and easy to do things 👍
    Level 81
    @WizzyWigg

You really don’t use banking apps? I think they’re marvellous. So quick and easy to do things 👍
    Nope. I have no need at the moment. I suppose I'll have to at some point but only if I really really have to. 👴
    Level 91
    @WizzyWigg

I have one for the joint account too and have notifications switched on. It’s like having a tracking device on Flo Soap. Sitting at home watching telly and my phone lights up… ‘You have just spent £5 in M&S’. You have just spent £7.50 in Tesco’. 🤣
    Level 81
    @WizzyWigg

I have one for the joint account too and have notifications switched on. It’s like having a tracking device on Flo Soap. Sitting at home watching telly and my phone lights up… ‘You have just spent £5 in M&S’. You have just spent £7.50 in Tesco’. 🤣
    I'm happier having bad news only once a month as opposed to hourly 😂.
    Level 92
    @WizzyWigg

She's very restrained, is your Flo 🤣🤣🤣