Changing E7 meter but NOT to a smart meter

Hi
    Eon says they need to replace my economy 7 meter due to the radio signal ending . And im fine with that . But i DONT want a smart meter . How do i advise EON of this ?

Jim
  • 15 Replies

Level 92
    @Jimbob

You don't have a choice. All obsolete Radio Tele Switch meters need replacing and the only option is to have a smart meter. Chances are you could ask them to install it in dumb mode, but that's fairly unlikely as everyone is supposed to have a smart meter by 2025 anyway.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Apparently i DO have a choice .. so i wait for an answer from an EON tech ..thanks
    Level 79
    Hi @Jimbob It might be worth contacting Customer Services. This is more a customer to customer forum and I think you are looking more for technical advice. Looking around modern Economy 7 meters are smart but as @retrotecchie said you might be able to for it to be made dumb.
    https://www.eonnext.com/contact

This might help as well:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...ter-installed/
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 20-06-23 at 20:40. Reason: Extra information
    Hmm . Not really helping are you .. read the original post .. and the ombudsman says i dont have to agree to a smart meter despite the low level bullying tactics. The government do not insist that energy company's must impose their failed technology in consumers . And NO government can mandate an individual shall accept such. Further more. I would be most intrested in the installers RAMS . Risk assesment and method statement of removing and disturbing an asbestos backing board for my current installation... please discuss !
    Level 92
    @Jimbob

Your original post simply says you do not want a smart meter, having accepted the fact that your obsolete meter needs to be replaced.

The RAMS (something I am very familiar with as an electrical contractor for the police and military) would make interesting reading. I produce several a month for various projects.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 20-06-23 at 21:58.
    No . My post says how do i advise EON that its ok to replace the E7 . But NOT with a smart meter .... simple english ... "how do i advise eon" .... and as you are clearly an advanced user/ poster. What do you know about the asbestos issue please ?
    Level 92
    @Jimbob

Your best way to "advise" E.On Next is with a conversation with Customer Services when you you schedule your appointment for the meter exchange. If they then "advise" you that you don't have a choice, then you will need to argue it out with them. Or raise a formal complaint and then take it to the Ombudsman if you either receive a 'deadlock letter' or you have no resolution to your satisfaction after 8 weeks.

As for the asbestos, I'm sure meter installation teams have encountered it numerous times and doubtless know the risks, correct procedures and mitigations for dealing with such things. Yours will not be the only property with an asbestos backboard.
    @Jimbob

As for the asbestos, I'm sure meter installation teams have encountered it numerous times and doubtless know the risks, correct procedures and mitigations for dealing with such things. Yours will not be the only property with an asbestos backboard.

Hmmm that dosent fill me with any confidence "im sure" you dont really know do you ? ... say what . Best leave the technical stuff to people who do hey ? And howAdo i know . Well .people i know have actually asked for smart meters . Only for the installation team to turn up and say they cant touch asbestos ... and just for your information any one who says they can will have to provide a massive portfolio of license and documentation ... just to be clear . We do have some background in this field