Fixed or Variable Tariffs. The choice is returning.

Level 81
    @meldrewreborn

The University of Life. 👍

Back to basics and experience are the best partners in the dance 💃.
    Level 57
    @meldrewreborn

I'm actually considering moving to take advantage of a tracker-type product that will play to my strengths - a close monitoring of the energy my house uses AND when it is used. This type of product is totally absent from Eon Next for those like me on a smart meter who do monitor these things (energy usage) assiduously (perhaps too much so 😆). I feel that I need to make a decision in the next couple of weeks. 🤔

I feel like I'm playing Blackjack on a score of 14 and wondering whether to stick or twist....
    Level 92
    @Mailman

I'm wondering why, for the last three rounds of price increases, Eon broke the rules concerning notifying customers in a timely manner of price changes that would leave me significantly worse off and yet they sent me a message a few days ago telling me my prices were going down. By how much, I don't know as the attached 'pdf' was just a file full of hexadecimal garbage!

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 21
    No junk &fcc3d hex got sent here. I got a document "EoN-July2023-price-change-summary.pdf" which opens in the default .pdf reader of my cheapo Linux computer. Why they hide the two numbers which I need on the second page of a pretty-printed document is unknown to me. Mine show no change to p/day standing charge; still 49.957 p/day, and about a 10% decrease to the p/kWh from about 33.5p to 30.3p. I am in regionid=12 "southern England", so if you live somewhere else it may be a few pennies different.

The document did not say whether or not we still pay for our electricity twice; the next bill plus future taxes plus interest.

The document did not indicate any sort of pie chart of where electricity (and offset certificates) procured by EoN were bought from in previous months. With about one sixth of UK electricity being imported from the continent, then unless told otherwise I'd have to expect that EoN bought dirtiest fossil leftovers and anything which the Belgians don't want, which is going to include too much Lignite electricity from RWE in the Ruhr and from even worse places if there are any. Then for offset certificates they'll always buy the cheapest, which might count tons of CO2 purportedly saved by a spiv poking a dead twig into a deforested wilderness where slash and burn has done its damage, and claiming for it trees planted and rainforests saved. To assess the value of offset certificates, ignore what everyone says and look at the atmospheric CO2. Ignore what everyone says, especially in audited national accounts, and just look at where the totals are heading.
    Level 81
    Hi All. I've not received any notification 🙁. Oh well I've been missed out again 😢.
    Level 91
    @wizzo227

i don’t think any supplier can pick and choose any particular generator. The generators feed the market place and the market place supplies the retailers at common prices.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 21
    Common prices and anonymous commodity markets suit spivs who don't want consumers to be able to pick only the good stuff. That is why I switch stuff off when there is less sun on my roof at home. I do choose to prefer renewable supply, and the only available way to ensure that is to turn stuff off whenever the renewables are insufficient.
    Level 91
    @WizzyWigg

there is no need to rush. Suppliers will only gradually return to offering fix tariffs for fear of being overwhelmed if they price too low. I think we’ve got 3/4 months to elapse before needing to make a decision
    Level 81
    @meldrewreborn

I've got myself a very comfortable back seat. Definitely no rush. It is interesting though to watch the media/social media for requests fixed tariffs. Few members of the public understand the reason for soft launching. Social media certainly highlights this.
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 14-06-23 at 18:42. Reason: Grammar mistake
    Level 57
    @Mailman

I'm wondering why, for the last three rounds of price increases, Eon broke the rules concerning notifying customers in a timely manner of price changes that would leave me significantly worse off and yet they sent me a message a few days ago telling me my prices were going down. By how much, I don't know as the attached 'pdf' was just a file full of hexadecimal garbage!

Yes I see it now (the hexadecimal garbage). I looked at the pdf attachment that was in my messages (within my online account) rather than the one I got delivered to my email account. The latter did have all the tariff info.🤔