we need to exchange your electric meter.

View Tag Cloud
    Level 5
    got email saying eonext want to change my metermis this another way of getting their smart meter in,its council owned i dont want them doing anything
  • 16 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 92
    Best Answer
    @WizzyWigg

Radio Teleswitch was supposed to be switched off in March this year, along with the Radio 4 long wave transmitter at Droitwich, but Arqiva will be maintaining it for a good few years yet. Teleswitch is not only used by the old Economy 7 systems, but is used by the Environmental Agency and a number of other organisations for remote control of various systems and infrastructure. I myself have an SDR with a teleswitch decoder so quite like to see what data is floating around in the ether.

Anyway, the energy companies are rolling out smart meters to replace Teleswitch and it's not just E.On Next but all the suppliers. No different from when they turned off analogue TV back in 2005 and we all had to go out and buy digital tellies, or set top Freeview boxes.

The difference is, we all had to go out and spend our own money on new kit for digital TV but your meter will be swapped out at no cost to you. Of course, all us bill payers are financing this smart metering shenanigan as part of our exorbitant standing charges so it's not exactly free, but you will not have to pay anything extra. I would imagine all the similar properties around you with the older systems will also be having their meters swapped.

Of all the reasons to change from a conventional to a smart meter, this is the only one with a valid technical reason. So if you have Teleswitch, you will need the swap. If you don't have Teleswitch, then my advice will always be to leave things as they are. If it ain't broke....

Teleswitch is brilliant....far better and more reliable than the smart metering communications network, but it relies on legacy technology from the 1960s that just can't be supported much beyond now. Once the last stock of high power transmitter valves have been used up at Droitwich, that's it...game over. They aren't made anymore and there is no viable alternative. Better to replace the system ahead of time than to panic when the last pair of valves go 'pop' and the transmitter dies a sudden death.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 77
    @shaza
    Did the email give any clue to the reason for changing your meter? Just wondering if the meter is coming to the end of it's life and for either accuracy or safety needs to be replaced. I would suggest contacting Customer Services best on either Twitter or WhatsApp.
    Level 92
    @shaza

Just because you are the occupier and bill payer, your supplier will still need permission from the landlord/council to exchange your meter. I think you will find there is a clause in your tenancy agreement to that effect. Especially as you should have had a new style agreement from 01 June this year following a change in the law in England and Wales. According to my new contract, you even need permission from your landlord to change supplier now, although that permission should not be withheld unreasonably.

Last edited by retrotecchie; 13-06-23 at 18:56.
    Level 5
    Hi Sharon,

The BBC radio signal used for some types of electricity meter is being turned off. Here’s what’s happening.

What it means for you?
    The schedule for when your electric heating and hot water kick in might change. This means you might not be able to use them during the usual low-cost off-peak hours. There's also a chance you won't be able to turn them on or off either.

What is the BBC Radio Teleswitch Service (RTS)?
    The BBC Radio Teleswitch Service uses a radio signal to help control and manage specific electricity meters. The RTS was introduced to help manage complex meters - such as Economy 7, before smart meters were around. It’s old tech now, and the service is due to be closed, so we’ll need to upgrade your meter before that happens.

Book your appointment now and upgrade to a brand-new smart meter.

What happens to my energy tariff? You’ll stay on the same tariff when your meter changes, and it’s fitted at no extra cost. For some customers, there may be a small difference to your peak and off-peak timings, but other than that you won’t notice any difference.

Any way we can help we will,

The E.ON Next team
    Have we hit the nail on the head?
    Level 77
    @shaza

Bear in mind what @retrotecchie said. Looks like you might have an old Economy 7 meter that relies on the BBC Teleswitch Service to change between tariffs. They are going to eventually discontinue that service. These links might help:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/ques...switch-between

https://www.energynetworks.org/industry-hub/engineering-and-technical-programmes/radio-teleswitch

Something at the back of my mind says it's March next year for service to end. Can't be 100% correct though.

What your options are I'm sorry I have no ideas. Maybe there's a more knowledgeable member that could help. 👴
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 14-06-23 at 07:46. Reason: Extra information
    Level 77
    Thank you @retrotecchie . I thought you would have more accurate information. Very helpful hopefully for @shaza . 👍
    Level 92
    @WizzyWigg

A few punters with legacy Economy 7 systems will need new metering and switching equipment but as the SMETS2 meters have that facility built in, it's not a problem for regular Economy 7. My old system in my first house had a mechanical Sangamo time clock to do the switching as RTS was already obsolete for new installations post 1990.

The problem lies with older legacy systems promoted in the 70s for electric heating and water tanks which used five or six terminal meters, with Economy 7 for the main electricity (power and lights) and a secondary system specifically for heating and hot water. These complex systems are not only more complex (as the name suggests) but have a separate tariff for peak and off peak heating charges and two MPRN numbers hence two lots of standing charges. Flexheat and Heatsave systems (mostly in Scotland or the Southern Counties) were promoted when we still used coal generation, the old Magnox Nuclear reactors were still providing a significant amount of energy to the grid and electricity was dirt cheap.

Those days are long gone and all those legacy systems should have been ripped out and replaced 30 years ago. The only supplier capable of correctly supporting the packages and tariffs is SSE/Ovo. That is why SSE (Scottish and Southern Electricity) exists in their current geographical form...they were a merger of the two original electricity boards that rolled out and then supported these obsolete systems.

Level 77
    @retrotecchie
    Thank you so much. I have learnt loads from you in this thread. 👴