Estimated Read - strange?

Level 92
    I usually submit my meter reading on the last day of each month. However, when I look at my account, the bill is calculated to the previous day, which then is a day out by my spreadsheet!

No big deal. It all comes out in the wash anyway, but I just like to see my reading dates match up with my bills.

So, for May I submitted my reading today on the premise that Eon.Next would then bill me up until 31/5/23 based on today's reading. Simple enough, I figured.

Only when I look at my account, money has gone from my credit balance and they billed me against an estimate for 30th May!

The reading was only 1kWh out from my reading though, so it makes diddly difference, but why did I have an estimated reading when they know I'm 'medieval' about submitting actual readings?!

In fact, the readings would actually be identical if I ignored the decimals...I always round up to the next nearest unit rather than round down when I submit readings. My spreadsheet works to 3dp though.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
  • 11 Replies

Level 55
    @retrotecchie

Not sure if what I am going to say helps but the same thing happens (sort of) even with my smart meter reads.

I know my smart reads are pulled in the small hours of the morning on the due date (which in my case is the 1st of every month - the anniversary of when I joined Eon Next). As a sanity check I also make a record of the meter reads myself as near to midnight on the previous day and the reads have always tallied with my sanity check. The next statement date will run from 1st May-31st May inclusive so technically the meter read will apply to the billing period up to meter read date - 1 day. In the days before Eon Next were able to pull these reads automatically I always submitted manual reads invariably on the 1st of the month every time. There were a couple of meter reads that took place on 31st which triggered a statement that went up to 30th of the month.

So perhaps you therefore need to send a manual just after midnight on the 1st of every month and then you would be billed up to the end of the month and then your spreadsheets would tally to each calendar month's usage and £. Having said that you run the risk of Eon Next doing an estimated reading (covering the period up to the 30th which happened in May) which would screw everything up unless you submitted reads on 31st AND on the 1st to remove the issue of any estimated reads.

As you are on Variable DD (I think) they will take the DD amount to be whatever your account balance is on about 10th of the month (with the DD going out of your bank account some 5 working days later or so) so it wouldn't matter if you have a statement for 30 days and another one for 1 day as a result of the late customer read as the totals of the 2 statements will now tally with your monthly SS. 👍
    Last edited by Mailman; 01-06-23 at 09:56.
    Level 92
    @Mailman

I'm not overly bothered...I've been in credit for the last six months and am still in credit now so they haven't actually had to take a DD in ages, but I'm more irked that my meter read history now has an estimated reading one day before my actual. It just upsets the look of my meter read history, and it's the first estimate I have ever had. Not bad for a guess though, I have to say. One unit discrepancy, is all. 🤣

But, having supplied an actual reading today, they have actually recalculated the transaction for the month which now reflects an extra unit plus a day's standing charge so the numbers all marry up perfectly. Just the 'rogue' estimated reading still in my meter read history which just grates a little. Hey ho....

I have bigger (or actually smaller) things to worry about right now. I'm a new 'dad'...the landlord sent the farm lads round with a telehandler yesterday to clear the remaining junk from the field. They removed two cast iron baths, a rotten chicken shed, a rusty harrow and all the left over corrugated tin from the old pig sheds, and in doing so unearthed a 'nest' containing two very young feral kittens.

So, I'm 'fostering' two tiny little balls of fluff, making up bottles of kitten formula and doing four-hourly feeds by hand. If you look very closely, you can see the word 'MUG' tattooed on my forehead.... 🤣🤣🤣. Makes the electric bill seem trivial by comparison🐱🐱😂
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 01-06-23 at 11:14.
    @retrotecchie

I received a 'rogue' estimated gas meter reading on my account in February for no apparent reason. I've been sending manual readings in on the 17th of each month,( the correct reading date) since the Smets1 meter stopped communicating with Eon-Next. I logged on to my account on the 17th of February to send the reading, and discovered the estimated one and a provisional transaction. Their estimated reading was a lot higher than the actual one, and when I tried to input the correct reading, their system didn't like it, and gave a pop up message that it seemed low. It accepted it at the second attempt, and the correct bill was generated a couple of days later. I contacted Customer Services, but they didn't know why the estimated reading was made.
    You'll have quite a task looking after two young kittens, with all the feeds, but it's very lucky for them that you found them. Good on you for taking them in🐱🐱👍
    Level 92
    @Tommysgirl

They are a bit cute. I'll try and upload a photo later 👍

Why upside down, I have no clue!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 01-06-23 at 13:29.
    @retrotecchie

It doesn't matter about the photo being upside down. I turned the laptop around, and they do look really cute.😺😺
    Level 92
    @Tommysgirl

Pro tem, I've given them names. The boy is now Charles and the girl is called Camilla. Chas and Camel for short. 😉🐱🐱
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

Trouble and even more trouble more like it. Their Mum will be around to beat you up soon.!
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    @retrotecchie

Very appropriate naming them after our new King and Queen.👍 🤣🤣
    Level 55
    @retrotecchie

Keep these creatures away from the TV esp during Springwatch is the experience in my household

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hunting.jpg 
Views:	1040 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	2243