A way with words - Local dialect

Community Team
    Hey / Hiya / How-do / Alright 👋

Aren't words funny 🤔 I came across a post on social media yesterday where someone said they had "brought" something from the shops and it started a huge debate about different words for instance is it:

• Brought / bought
    • Draws / drawers
    • Roll / bun / cob / bap

After this it then got on to the different words used in different regions, this thread went on FOREVER 😆 but it was certainly entertaining.

I thought I would share some of the words from my local dialect (East Scotland) that for years confused my Husband (he's from Lincs):

• Bunker = Worktop - "Ah left ma keys on the bunker" (I left my keys on the worktop)
    • Messages = Shopping - "Ah need tae nip and get the messages" (I need to go get the shopping)
    • Bucket = Bin - "Put that in the bucket when you're finished wi it" (Put that in the bin when you're finished with it)
    • Chum = Accompany - "Dae you want to chum me to get the messages" (Do you want to come with me to get the shopping)
    • Piece = Sandwich - "Can ah huv a piece on cheese" (Can I have a cheese sandwich)
    • Outwith = Beyond - "Sorry it's outwith ma control" (Sorry it's beyond my control)

What words are local to you that people not from your area might think are a bit odd? Are there words that you've picked up along the way that you had no idea were local to you? For me it was outwith I had no idea this wasn't used outside of Scotland, I thought everyone used it 😂

Last edited by DebF_EONNext; 16-05-23 at 10:19.
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳
  • 40 Replies

Level 77
    @DebF_EONNext

My south of England friends look at me strangely when I tell them I'm going to pop down the 'ginnel ' to the shops. It's a Yorkshire word that's use a lot in Lancashire. Ginnel - A fenced alleyway between buildings.
    @DebF_EONNext and @WizzyWigg

We have lots of local dialect words in the North East of England but I'll only mention a few:
    Tankie: The old steam train that used to transport the coal from local mines to the sea ports ;
    Lonnen: A narrow lane or street between hedges;
    Gadgie: A man, usually an old man;
    Hacky: Grubby, filthy or dirty;
    Netty: Toilet (lavatory), believed to date back to the Romans who called their version of toilets Gabinetti, and the word is still used in Italy today;
    Worky ticket: Someone who is misbehaving, particularly a child;
    Dancing the Rapper: Throwing a tantrum involving stamping the feet. Derives from a Northumbrian type of sword dance, the rappers were the swords, or their equivalents.
    Last edited by Tommysgirl; 16-05-23 at 14:01. Reason: Adding info
    Level 91
    @Tommysgirl

I liked clarts, which i think the rest of know as cow pats - "in the clarts" was the phrase.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    @Tommysgirl

I liked clarts, which i think the rest of know as cow pats - "in the clarts" was the phrase.
    That's exactly right. Clarty can also mean muddy.
    Level 92
    @Tommysgirl

I've heard use of the term for other purposes too, especially in Cumbria. If the weather is a bit wet and murky, it's 'clarty out'.

I believe 'dreich' is the Scots term for wet and grey weather, and it would be 'yampy' in the Black Country. Hereabouts, it's 'gwynt a glaw' - wet and windy.

The Welsh have some great words - entirely made up mostly, but very funny. An 'oven' or a bakery is known as a popty. A microwave oven is a therefore a 'popty ping'.

The Welsh for 'fish' is pysgod. A jelly fish is a 'pysgod wibli wobli'.

I think it may just have been a 'Surrey thing', but does anyone else refer to woodlice as 'Cheesybobs'?

Last edited by retrotecchie; 16-05-23 at 15:14.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    @retrotecchie
    Dreich is the Scots term for wet and grey weather. They say it in the very north of Northumberland too.

Popty ping is a great name for a microwave oven.🤣

We don't refer to woodlice as cheesy bobs in Northumberland. We call earwigs: 'Forky Tails'; and craneflies: 'Daddy Long Legs' or 'Johnny Spinners'.
    @retrotecchie

Another one of our North East ones I've just though of is:' Cuddy', which is a donkey.
    If someone is said to 'have the cuddy on their back' it means they are in a bad mood or temper.
    Pysgod wibli wobli is very funny for jellyfish😂
    Last edited by Tommysgirl; 16-05-23 at 18:53. Reason: Adding info
    Community Team
    @WizzyWigg we call it a vennel or a close.
    @Tommysgirl we use gadgie too!
    @meldrewreborn I'm with Tommysgirl I've always know clarty as dirty, usually it's clarty or manky.
    @retrotecchie I've never heard of a woodlouse being called a cheesybob we call them slaters. I absolutely love the popty ping 🤣
    Level 77
    @DebF_EONNext
    Mithered - to fuss over or moan about. Frequently used in the Red Rose 🌹 County. 😀