A way with words - Local dialect

@retrotecchie

We use the 'in a minute' phrase here in the North East too.
    'Hinny' and 'Pet' are the local terms of endearment. Hinny derives from Honey, but it's not used quite as much as it was in the past.
    Level 92
    @Tommysgirl

When I was but a bairn, ten or so, I inherited a very old two-valve Dansette record player from my Granny. It came with a pile of old LP's that belonged to my Grandad. In amongst them was an LP by a popular seventies folk band called The Spinners.

My favourite track on the album was 'Keep your feet still, Geordie Hinny'. Full of Northumberland dialect words, but I kind of knew what it all meant as Granny came from Morpeth and often used 'hinny' and 'pet' amongst the family.

My musical tastes have changed greatly over the years, but I still remember that song with fondness, and can still sing the chorus.

Keep your feet still, Geordie Hinny, keep your feet still through the neet
    For we may not be so happy through the day.
    Give us that bit comfort, keep your feet still Geordie Lass,
    And div'nt drive me bonny dreams away.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    @retrotecchie

'Keep your feet still Geordie Hinny' was a very popular song up here. My grandad always used to sing it at the family New Years Eve get together, and we would all join in the chorus. I remember being told, it is about working men such as builders who worked away from home, and shared 'digs' with each other. I can still sing the chorus too, and I have the Northumbrian dialect which makes it a bit easier to sing! πŸ˜ƒπŸŽΆ
    Level 92
    @Tommysgirl

Another word I still occasionally use is 'slincing', or 'to slince'. It's a Surrey thing (I lived near Guildford for eight years), which is sometimes modified to 'slancing' or 'to slance'. I don't know if it's used anywhere else.

It means, sort of, non-criminal theft, or 'cheeky helping yourself'.

'Who's slinced the last biscuit?' or 'Someone's been slincing the meat'.

When you had family round for Sunday dinner, you'd serve the dinner and if there was a bit of chicken or meat left, that would do for sandwiches the next day. My then Father-in-law (who was known as Ape due to his uncanny resemblance to an oran-utan) usually offered to do the dishes while everyone else went to have a sit down.

Monday morning, I'd go to make my sarnies for work and more often than not, the bit of meat that had been tubbed and put in the fridge was decidedly smaller than I remembered. The usual comment from the family...'Ape has been slincing again!'

Not a word used in my earlier Hampshire days. My dad just called it 'tidying it up' when he did the dishes! My Mum accused him of having 'second dinner'.

You would understand the idea @Tommysgirl when you put a bit of feed out for the spuggies or the robins, and the pigeons come along and slince it all!
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 26-05-23 at 10:51.
    @retrotecchie

I haven't heard the word slince, but I get the idea, the pigeons do 'slince' the bird food I put out for the robins and spuggies (sparrows).
    We have so many dialect words, it's impossible to remember or list them all. Many of them come from our Roman, Danish and Viking invaders.

Hadaway, means go away, and Howay means 'come on' as in 'Howay The Lads', when cheering on Newcastle United.
    Community Team
    @retrotecchie never heard of that one we would say chore or chorie instead of theif. Someone who steals something is a "chorie" or a "chore", when they are in the act of stealing they are "on the chore" and once they have stolen it they have "chored" or "choried" it 🀣
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳

Looking for the latest price cap information? Visit this thread Ofgem energy price cap 1 July 2024 - How will this affect my E.ON Next tariff?
    Level 80
    If you watched 'The Wheel' this evening Alison Hammond came up with an old Brummie term for 'Tap Water '.

Council Pop! πŸ˜‚
    Level 92
    @WizzyWigg

Whew! Missed that, thank goodness. Can't abide Michael McIntyre and the thought of him and Alison Hammond together on the same programme gives me the screaming hab-dabs.

Level 80
    @WizzyWigg

Whew! Missed that, thank goodness. Can't abide Michael McIntyre and the thought of him and Alison Hammond together on the same programme gives me the screaming hab-dabs.
    πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Oh I could think of a lot worse than those two. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚