Persistence and phone calls

Level 1
    Possibly me being over-sensitive but...

I am the payee of an Eon-Next account for my son's flat (he is a student). We had been paying estimated bills for a while until I was able to get proper readings from the landlord who (illegally?) keeps the meters locked away from the tenants in the complex.

Eventually got the readings and sent them in a while ago, resulting in us being massively in credit. So much so that with this, plus the £66 government top up we haven't had to pay a bill for a good few months.

In April I was able to get another real reading and sent it in. This then, quite rightly showed we were £14.01 in debit. The bill arrived a week ago.

Today I received a phone call demanding I pay up immediately (which I have done). Don't energy suppliers allow a reasonable time to make payment any more? Quick to demand payment of £14, slow to suggest repayment of hundreds of pound in credit.
  • 4 Replies

Level 91
    @RichP That's the way of the world. the time limits are in the contract. Unfortunately many don't pay on time or at all which costs the energy companies millions each year.

Presumably this is pay on receipt of bill - but not by direct debit. Paying by Direct Debit, whether on a fixed monthly sum or actual monthly billing is much cheaper - the average customer saves £200 per annum as a result (students would probably save less as they could be lower than average consumers!) . Something to teach your son which will do him well in his future life.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    @RichP I would definitely advise to have a chat with the Landlord as once the tenancy is agreed and the apartment is let, unless there is a clause in the contract, he cannot lock the meters room.

About the balance and the readings, we usually advise to get readings on a monthly basis because it's easier to avoid estimates and wrong billing.
    Level 91
    @Bennie_EONNext

the tenant is fully entitled to quiet enjoyment of the property which obviously would necessitate immediate access to the meter cupboard. In an emergency the tenant or emergency services could require access to the meter or isolating fuse so a key or code to get to the meters is implied in the contract and is a health and safety matter. Excluding the tenant is plain wrong. But the landlord might not like being told this so calm discussion is required, preferably with other tenants involved too.
    @meldrewreborn

I totally agree with you. I think it is important. Also if done through an agency, they might be able to step in as they have to cover the needs both of the Landlord and the tenant.