smart meter scaling.

Level 1
    Why doesn't the smart meter scaling adjust for a new tariff? since the price rise i'm always in the red or off the scale. i would of thought the scaling would adjust automatically so i could try and keep within budget?
  • 1 Reply

Level 55
    Why doesn't the smart meter scaling adjust for a new tariff? since the price rise i'm always in the red or off the scale. i would of thought the scaling would adjust automatically so i could try and keep within budget?

You must be referring to the In Home Device (IHD) that is linked to the actual meter lurking in a cupboard somewhere or outside (as is the case with me). TBH, the IHD has a difficult time of it for some/many adjusting to the now regular tariff changes. The budgetary data will be incorrect without correct tariff information on the IHD.

To answer your question, probably because nobody has ever thought this is a functionality that needs to be put into the things.

I don't use the budget aspect of IHDs and just use it to pull off daily usage in kWh, record it in a spreadsheet and can anticipate with good accuracy what my monthly variable DD will be. With 26 days gone of this month I fully expect my DD (taken in mid-May) to be circa £130 for dual-fuel costs in April with this figure firming up as each day goes by.

I can empathise if you need to £ budget on a daily basis and rely on an imperfect device. Perhaps you could think about how your budget translates into kWh of each fuel and learn to keep a watch on that as well (or instead of as I do).👍