What to do next?

Level 2
    Like everyone else, I would like to know what is happening with EON's tariffs. I came off my fixed tariff a couple of months ago and now I imagine I am on a variable tariff. Is this my only choice? Are there other options for me. I am taking duel fuel from EON. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Han_EONNext; 10-05-23 at 15:27.
  • 4 Replies

Level 77
    I think the best comment at the moment is from Martin Lewis (moneysavingexpert.com):

"People need to be very careful not to just jump on a fix because it costs less than they're paying right now. "If you're on a standard tariff, the rates you pay are governed by a cap.25 Mar 2023.

Admittedly there is no guarantee or crystal ball but looking forward the indication is the energy cap could fall to below what it is at the moment.
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 23-04-23 at 12:33. Reason: Grammar mistake
    Level 92
    @WizzyWigg

Wholesale gas prices have dipped below the 100p a therm threshold and seem to be hovering around that sort of level right now, so the general feeling is that Q3 and Q4 energy prices should be somewhat lower at the next OFGEM price setting points. I'm tending to think that, barring unforseen events in the market, prices will come down a bit, so fixing in the next few months is not something I will be contemplating.

Martin Lewis might have the right idea here.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 2
    Thanks WizzyWigg
    Common sense answer for the first time. Very much appreciated.
    Best Wishes
    Simon
    Level 91
    @simonofengland

Obviously it depends what the offered rates actually are. In General the best time to fix is when the expectation is of price rises, not price falls. But in the past (back 18 months or more) the default OFGEM price cap rates were considerably higher than fixed rates available on comparison sites. While a lot of those offering the best rates went bust shortly afterwards, the big 6 still had fixed rates lower than the OFGEM levels.

I have my gas account separate from my electricity supplier and will look for deals periodically. Because i use so little gas in the summer months I will only start looking in earnest as autumn approaches.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.