Old heating and poor insulation issues

View Tag Cloud
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

Just a minor note, as I found with my new place after I moved in. The hatch to the loft had a very nice foam seal all the way round, so I wasn't too bothered until the cold weather came round, but I noticed the landing seemed chilly. Further investigation revealed the hatch itself to be just a piece of 10mm or 3/8" plywood, with no insulation on the back. Touching the hatch felt cold. I remedied the problem by gluing an appropriately sized carrier bag to the back of the hatch, stuffing it with loft insulation and sealing it up with duct tape to make an insulating 'pillow' on the back of the hatch door. That certainly helped with some heat loss.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 5
    Thanks again for the great tips - I will definitely give them a try. I expected prices to be high, but almost £115 a week is just unreal!
    Level 91
    @meldrewreborn

Just a minor note, as I found with my new place after I moved in. The hatch to the loft had a very nice foam seal all the way round, so I wasn't too bothered until the cold weather came round, but I noticed the landing seemed chilly. Further investigation revealed the hatch itself to be just a piece of 10mm or 3/8" plywood, with no insulation on the back. Touching the hatch felt cold. I remedied the problem by gluing an appropriately sized carrier bag to the back of the hatch, stuffing it with loft insulation and sealing it up with duct tape to make an insulating 'pillow' on the back of the hatch door. That certainly helped with some heat loss.

Agreed. If the loft hatch is hinged allowance has to be made so that it opens OK. In one place i used surplus foam insulation to stick on the upper surface to achieve the same result. Of course the loft insulation - the responsibility of the housing association - should be 270mm (11"). If it isn't then press strongly for it to be brought to that level or greater.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @TheDodds

you’ve been in the property for some time so you should be able to track your consumption in kWh over time. By stripping out the effect of prices you can monitor whether you are being more or less frugal than previously. Good luck with your efficiency efforts.